Support VWWC

Thread: GTI hard start and CEL after mechanic changed clutch

GTI hard start and CEL after mechanic changed clutch

Hi all,

Car is a 2010 GTI Mk6 - Has a Stage 2 tune (bluefin), catless DP and VWR intake. That was all fitted 2 months ago and car ran fine except for stock clutch gave up after about 500kms with tune. Car has 70,000kms.

Anyway bought the Sachs upgraded clutch, new LUK dual mass flywheel and slave cylinder all direct from overseas and handed it all over to a reputable local clutch place to install (as ironically I didnt want to screw it up myself).

Got call up that car was ready and I noticed when I first started it at mechanics it cranked for about 5 seconds before starting. I put it down to just maybe the new flywheel and clutch bedding in. Then on way home I get the engine light. When I got home I checked codes and get "P0016" which is camshaft/crankshaft correlation.

Took it back to mechanic who spent another couple of hours on it and he cant figure it out but feels a clutch change wouldn't have caused this. He was closing so he said to flash back to stock over the weekend and see if that's the cause as the battery was out for about 6 hours and call him back Monday.

So I've flashed back to stock and get same problem, flashed the stage 2 back and same problem. What happens is on first start after a flash or clearing the error code it starts fine but after idling for about 20 seconds the CEL comes on and on a restart it cranks for 5 seconds before firing.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by merlin6014; 06-01-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Cam sensor failure is common on these, and unlikely to be caused by a clutch job.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Check the battery condition (when was it last replaced) and then check the battery connections. Battery was taken out so maybe something is loose.
    If battery OK change the sensor it is quick and cheap enough.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag
    Cam sensor is not common on a mk6 gti.... What is common especially for OP's year, is the camshaft bearing bridge fault and/or the timing chain tensioner.... Have not replaced a G40 in a MK6 GTI for years...

Regardless tensioner needs to be checked!

Users Country Flag
    The only time I had a camshaft fault was when I had my timing chain and tensioner changed and VW put the thing back together wrong. Long crank start and camshaft position sensor fault. They had to do the whole job again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Golf R. Lapiz Blue.

Users Country Flag

Possible timing chain has slipped a tooth......is power down in general?

The timing chain can slip if the crankshaft is turned in the opposite direction of travel (ie. anti clockwise from the pulley side, or clockwise from the flywheel side).

VW workshop guides specifically state never turn the crankshaft in opposite direction of travel when the engine is off, as the chain tensioner has no oil pressure and an aging tensioner/chain can resulting in the chain slipping.

I have seen this happen before on more than one occasion after a clutch / flywheel has been changed by a mechanic who doesn't realise you should never do this on any chain engine....if it has happened your lucky it was only 1 tooth as more than that and the engine would be damaged.