Support VWWC

Thread: Golf R Running a bit Rich...

Users Country Flag

Golf R Running a bit Rich...

Hi guys,

At present with my MK6 R its been running a bit too rich for my liking. A few people have told me it smelt quite strong whilst traveling behind me but its not producing irregular soot or anything.

The car has an APR Stage 1 Tune, and I have also got the APR Carbino Intake, K&N Pannel Filter and a GFB Diverter Valve Fitted, so nothing too major, and have done nothing else to the car.

I had the tune installed after having the DV and Pannel Filter in, but installed the intake later.

What I am wondering is, does anyone think the other parts could be at fault for this rich running? Or could it be something else entirely like O2 Sensor or such? I've put it back to stock tune at present and it seems to be running fine.

Would love to know some thoughts on this, thanks in advance!

Users Country Flag
    Have you got a scan tool of some sort (OBDII tool for your phone or VCDS, etc...)?
    What do your AFRs look like? Ideally, you'd want to be running between 11.6 and 12.2 when WOT. If you're going under 11.0, then that would be definitely too rich.

Was it previously fine after the tune, or has it started to occur recently?
    Too rich obviously means not enough air, so look for anything from boost leaks to a dodgy turbo.

By stock tune, do you mean using the map switching or actually reflashed to stock?

Mark 6 Golf R's do normally blow a fair bit of smoke. My son has one with a Stage 2+ APR tune etc. and he recently jokingly said he took off from the lights beside a Nissan Navara diesel who was trying to race him and it was a close thing as to which one was blowing the most smoke. Mine does the same thing and its got a Stage 2 Underground Performance tune.
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

Users Country Flag
    Check your air:fuel ratio and go from there. As someone else mentioned, if your air:fuel ratio goes below about 11:1 then you are running too rich and the car will be emitting a fair bit of black/grey smoke from out the exhaust (which is unburnt fuel).

Providing the engine is in good mechanical order and nothing is wrong/broken/worn out etc then your air:fuel ratio is controlled by the parameters of your aftermarket APR tune. The only way to fix it is to approach APR (do they still exist in Australia??) and see if their is an updated version of the tune, or change tuning companies.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the replies guys!

So I decided to remove the DV, and found that an O-Ring was damaged, creating possibly a leak and would explain the odd noise of the DV when letting off throttle. So far, much less soot and Ive been told it does not smell near as much as previously.

Could it have just been as simple as the Diverter Valve at fault?

Don't have the ability to check the A:F Ratio, but can go to a friend who has the tool to if needbe. Also, I did mean switching back to stock map, not the tune itself exactly .

Users Country Flag
    The diverter valves on MK5 and Mk6 Golf's are a continual problem due to what is quite frankly a poor design. Dont bother replacing it with another genuine part - replace it with either the GFB DV+ (approx $150) or the Turbosmart Kompact DV (approx $280) and you will never need to worry about it again.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Hi guys, Just a quick update on this issue as the car has started happening again. Even it stock tune, I've been told it stinks from behind and smells far too rich. Going to take it in to my APR dealer for checkover as really its only been happening since tune.

If anyone could enlighten me further it would be great!

Have you noticed any increase in fuel use?
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

Quote Originally Posted by Bora Sport View Post
    Have you noticed any increase in fuel use?
    Not in particular to be honest, economy seems pretty normal for an R

Users Country Flag

Hi guys, Ive been seeing a bit of blue smoke each time I drive slow and after some deceleration, just as I get back on the gas there is this blue smoke. Wondering if its valve guides or if I need to be thinking of a catch can? MK6 R stage 2+
    Tanks for the inputs, if there is a thread about this already I would appreciate a link.