Page 548 of 651 FirstFirst ... 48448498538546547548549550558598648 ... LastLast
Results 5,471 to 5,480 of 6510

Thread: Golf R Observations and Questions

Users Country Flag

1.4 bar apparently .... with access to the damos files which they say they have

What they say they have done is possible but not without considerable risk

I'll assume their coding skill is on the money or that warranty they offer will get tested out. (it isn't really a warranty....)

Weird torque curve and looks like the run was cut prematurely. Disconcerting.

Their post from the other forum, just so everyone knows where the coding came from ... no wonder other tuners kept quiet.

Doesn't add up sadly

Quote Originally Posted by ATPG View Post
    Ok, here is the info that everyone wants to know.
    Peak boost set to 1.5bar, locked boost on this car set at 1.45 bar.
    The mapping is a torque structered map set up, complimented by airflow, spark, fuel and cam timing set up.
    This has been under development with us for a fair while, and is based on the full Factory Damos file.
    We are working with a massive amount of maps which is why it has taken so long to work through them all.
    We still have more work to do , but we will continue to work towards stage 2 and 2+ completion shortly.

I hope this has answered some of the questions out there, and would be interesting to know how many of member's cars are tuned from the factory FULL damos file.

This has been a project we have not taken lightly and have kept under the radar for a reason.
    Last edited by Candyman; 20-10-2012 at 03:34 PM.
    8VSS2L/16 E9E9 XG MP SPP1 4ZD 6XK CSC5P with an extra free 10kW

I picked up my R today after finally deciding that my Polo is no longer enjoyable as a daily driver. It's a MY13 DSG with 19s but without ACC so I was curious to see if the ride was as harsh as I'd read it could be.

The 700km drive from Melbourne back to Canberra was actually my first drive of an R and the first time I've even been in an unmodified one so it was an interesting experience.

Some observations from my first day with the car:

•Comfort in terms of the seats and ergonomics is very good. I spent about 9 hours straight in the car stopping only for petrol and the dunny, and I'm not at all tired or sore from the experience. My primary goal with the R was to get back to a comfortable daily driver and I'm very happy with the car in that regard.

•The Nav / MDI / Bluetooth system is great. Took about 10 seconds to pair with my iPhone 5 to make & receive calls, with my phone book entries automatically syncing over so the name of the caller appears in the MFD. Using one of Apple's Lightning adapter cables (30-pin to 8-pin) the MDI system recognised the music and playlists on my iPhone and I was able to control the playback using the touch screen and the steering wheel controls.

•The DSG is certainly quick to change, but only when it makes the correct guess about which gear you want next. If it thinks you're going to upshift but instead you decide to downshift there's an obvious pause whilst the gearbox goes and gets the lower gear. On twisty sections of road it seemed to have a good grasp about what gear to have ready so I really only noticed that issue around town. I only drove the car in M so no idea what the automatic modes are like.

•Having AWD makes a huge difference in how the car feels off the line. There's none of the wheelspin, torque steer or traction issues that plague the Polo - the R just gets up and goes.

•I was a bit underwhelmed with the performance beyond the standing start, particularly when overtaking from 90/100kph. You really need to drop a few gears just to get the car moving along, and in those situations where traction isn't an issue it feels even slower than the Polo does. That said, stock performance isn't a big issue as I've already got the Stage 3 kit on order from APR.

All in all I'm really happy with the R - after reading through the many hundreds of pages of thoughts and advice in this thread I'm glad to be finally able to enjoy one for myself.

Re: Golf R Observations and Questions

Congrats James that's a nice looking golf r, looking forward to seeing how it compares to the Polo

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
    Audi A3 1.8 T
    aiming for 200kw atw
    http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...-8t-71747.html

Quote Originally Posted by jamesatfish View Post
    •The DSG is certainly quick to change, but only when it makes the correct guess about which gear you want next. If it thinks you're going to upshift but instead you decide to downshift there's an obvious pause whilst the gearbox goes and gets the lower gear.
    The quickest way for the DSG to figure out you're about to downshift, and to preselect that gear much more quickly, is to back off the throttle (gently is fine) a moment before you downshift. If you pull the down paddle while still accelerating, mine tends to think about it for an age before it finally selects the lower gear and shifts, but if you've backed off first (even if just for a half second or so), it'll have got the message and the shift will be much faster.

Loving the Tornado Red!
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Users Country Flag
    I picked up my R today after finally deciding that my Polo is no longer enjoyable as a daily driver. It's a MY13 DSG with 19s but without ACC so I was curious to see if the ride was as harsh as I'd read it could be.

The 700km drive from Melbourne back to Canberra was actually my first drive of an R and the first time I've even been in an unmodified one so it was an interesting experience.

Some observations from my first day with the car:

•Comfort in terms of the seats and ergonomics is very good. I spent about 9 hours straight in the car stopping only for petrol and the dunny, and I'm not at all tired or sore from the experience. My primary goal with the R was to get back to a comfortable daily driver and I'm very happy with the car in that regard.

•The Nav / MDI / Bluetooth system is great. Took about 10 seconds to pair with my iPhone 5 to make & receive calls, with my phone book entries automatically syncing over so the name of the caller appears in the MFD. Using one of Apple's Lightning adapter cables (30-pin to 8-pin) the MDI system recognised the music and playlists on my iPhone and I was able to control the playback using the touch screen and the steering wheel controls.

•The DSG is certainly quick to change, but only when it makes the correct guess about which gear you want next. If it thinks you're going to upshift but instead you decide to downshift there's an obvious pause whilst the gearbox goes and gets the lower gear. On twisty sections of road it seemed to have a good grasp about what gear to have ready so I really only noticed that issue around town. I only drove the car in M so no idea what the automatic modes are like.

•Having AWD makes a huge difference in how the car feels off the line. There's none of the wheelspin, torque steer or traction issues that plague the Polo - the R just gets up and goes.

•I was a bit underwhelmed with the performance beyond the standing start, particularly when overtaking from 90/100kph. You really need to drop a few gears just to get the car moving along, and in those situations where traction isn't an issue it feels even slower than the Polo does. That said, stock performance isn't a big issue as I've already got the Stage 3 kit on order from APR.

All in all I'm really happy with the R - after reading through the many hundreds of pages of thoughts and advice in this thread I'm glad to be finally able to enjoy one for myself.

Is that VW Moorabbin? If so, I saw that car Looks hot
    2020 VW Golf R

Users Country Flag

The 700km drive from Melbourne
    I see you bought it from those clowns at Barloworld Moorabbin. Good thing you won't need them to service it.
    Resident grumpy old fart
    VW - Metallic Paint, Radial Tyres, Laminated Windscreen, Electric Windows, VW Alloy Wheels, Variable Geometry Exhaust Driven Supercharger, Direct Unit Fuel Injection, Adiabatic Ignition, MacPherson Struts front, Torsion Beam rear, Coil Springs, Hydraulic Dampers, Front Anti-Roll Bar, Disc Brakes, Bosch ECU, ABS

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kaanage View Post
    I see you bought it from those clowns at Barloworld Moorabbin. Good thing you won't need them to service it.
    LOL, sounds like they have a happy customer. What's wrong with them?
    2020 VW Golf R

Users Country Flag
    Red = bloody awesomness, how many red R's in the country now? I know there was a couple in VIC.

APR S2/Whiteline/H&R/Enkei/Carbonio/13.68@101/Winton-1:44.52

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
    LOL, sounds like they have a happy customer. What's wrong with them?
    see Misdiagnosis by dealer - what next?

BTW you'd better update your sig since you've sold the hamster.
    Resident grumpy old fart
    VW - Metallic Paint, Radial Tyres, Laminated Windscreen, Electric Windows, VW Alloy Wheels, Variable Geometry Exhaust Driven Supercharger, Direct Unit Fuel Injection, Adiabatic Ignition, MacPherson Struts front, Torsion Beam rear, Coil Springs, Hydraulic Dampers, Front Anti-Roll Bar, Disc Brakes, Bosch ECU, ABS

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    The quickest way for the DSG to figure out you're about to downshift, and to preselect that gear much more quickly, is to back off the throttle (gently is fine) a moment before you downshift. If you pull the down paddle while still accelerating, mine tends to think about it for an age before it finally selects the lower gear and shifts, but if you've backed off first (even if just for a half second or so), it'll have got the message and the shift will be much faster.
    Thanks for that advice - I will give that a try and see if that improves things. It might be a case of adapting my driving style to suit how the car works which is perfectly understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
    Is that VW Moorabbin? If so, I saw that car Looks hot
    Yes, that's VW Barloworld at Moorabbin. I had no previous dealings with them prior to this car - I was in the market for a Golf R and saw a post from the dealership on this forum advertising the car for sale. I did everything over email and the first time I met the guys there or saw the car was when picking it up yesterday.

If it wasn't for really wanting the Tornado Red I probably wouldn't have purchased from that dealership, but that's mainly from a distance point of view rather than anything else as I've got no previous experience with them for better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by adzy View Post
    Red = bloody awesomness, how many red R's in the country now? I know there was a couple in VIC.
    Apparently this car makes 4 - or at least 4 that the sales guy was aware of. It seems that getting special order Tornado Red is becoming easier so there will most likely be a few more appearing until they stop making Mk6 Rs.

I had asked my local dealers if they could custom order one in red, but both said it wasn't possible - hence snapping up this one when I saw it online.

Page 548 of 651 FirstFirst ... 48448498538546547548549550558598648 ... LastLast