Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf GTD

CKTSI, If you go to the VW UK site you'll see they still produce a Golf GT TDI
    However for whatever reason it is only available with the 103 KW/140PS 2 litre diesel. So I guess there is little point in VWA bring that model in as it is just the same as the Comfortline 103TDI aready sold here.
    So the GTD it is, and that's a good thing.

They'd be silly not to bring the GTD to Aus. It would be a good seller. Can't beat Diesel power!
    MY20 Golf GTI TCR
    MY20.5 LR Defender P400 HSE

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by cktsi View Post
    But it is funny that what was the GT Sport TDI in mark 5 has suddenly been upgraded to a GTD nameplate.
    It is probably like the TSI/FSI/TFSI issue.
    VW comes up with all these names and then no one knows anything about them or the differences between them except the true enthusiasts who frequent forums like this one.
    the worst part is the dealers don't know the differences and hence cannot be a definiitve source of informaiton on prodcut differences.

It is much easier to go back to a single name and keep the GT(I/D) for the sports and everything else just a golf.
    Otherwise we have a golf, golf gt, golf gt sport and golf gti/d etc.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by coreying View Post
    Yeah, but the 'GT' was a lower specification to the GTI. It fit between the standard Golf's and the GTI.
    In Mark 5 guise, the GT Sport TDI had sports suspension (similar if not identical to GTI), the fog lamps, dual climate, flappy paddles and 16" rims. Can't recall, but there may have even been tinting.

My point is the track times for a Mark 5 GT Sport TDI vs GTD would be close if not identical as they have the same engine. Having said that you make a very good point that GTD will gain the XDS which will contribute to better handling than the GT Sport TDI - but then that's the Mark 6 evolution over Mark 5 anyway.

Yes, cosmetically GTD will get GTI style flat bottom steering wheel, special grey stitching & inserts... but to me these are minor cosmetic differentiators GT Sport TDI to GTD... compared to GT Sport TDI vs Comfortline TDI 2.0 where you had the lower suspension, dual zone air, upgraded engine, fog lamps etc.

Agreed though that the new nomenclature is easier on most people, but keen VW watchers like me will spot the substance underneath.
    Skoda Octavia Mk3
    (sold) Golf Mark 6 Comfortline 118
    (sold) Golf Mark5 Comfortline Manual 2.0 FSI

Correyng. VW sites and some GTD reviews say no XDS and others say yes it comes standard. Suspension on GTD not lowered as much as GTI I think.

VW UK says
    GTD - "Sports suspension, lowered by approx. 15 mm"
    GTI - "Sports suspension, lowered by approx. 22mm front; 15 mm rear"

Users Country Flag
    That's ok... the fact is it is lowered suspension & probably firmer damping - so it's still sports tuned. The differences in height may be due to the different weights of the diesel engine vs TFSI
    Skoda Octavia Mk3
    (sold) Golf Mark 6 Comfortline 118
    (sold) Golf Mark5 Comfortline Manual 2.0 FSI

Users Country Flag
    @cktsi - I realise the MK5 GT had several things which made it similar to the GTI, but it was still clearly positioned as an 'in between' model, whereas the GTD on equal level.

@Zeke - I checked the UK site when comparing the GTD to the GTI, and they've got the XDS as standard (and all the same inclusions as the GTI) and priced the GTD 500 pounds cheaper than the GTI. But you're right, the specifications and price could change if VW Australia decided to bring it here.

Thanks for the info on the suspension differences

Users Country Flag
    Perhaps instead of the graffiti on our Golf's bum, (reads '2.0 TDI Pacific') we should have gone GTD, less to clean too
    Actually, reading this thread, I'm pretty happy with the specs to dollars ratio.
    MY09 Golf Candy White 2.0 TDI Pacific
    MY95 Golf III TDI

Quote Originally Posted by cktsi View Post
    In Mark 5 guise, the GT Sport TDI had sports suspension (similar if not identical to GTI)
    I read somewhere that the MkV Golf GT and GT TDI have the suspension tune of the MkV Sportline model. As Corey says, it sits between the Comfortline and GTI in terms of ride height and firmness.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Graffiti

Quote Originally Posted by yowie View Post
    Perhaps instead of the graffiti on our Golf's bum, (reads '2.0 TDI Pacific') we should have gone GTD, less to clean too
    Actually, reading this thread, I'm pretty happy with the specs to dollars ratio.
    I'm with you. I love the badging on the rear of my CC. Nothing but the VW logo boot release. Not even a "Passat" sign anywhere.

Love it as wash and polish/wax time too.
    You know you are getting old when you cancel your order for a 3.6 CC and buy an Icelandic Gray TDI CC instead.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast