Page 119 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1378

Thread: Golf 118 TSI Engine Failures and Service Campaign 24S4

Users Country Flag

Hi all

I have been eyeing a 2013 118TSI golf for the past few weeks which has done 50 000 km for a pretty good price (13k).
    After reading this thread, a few alarm bells are starting to go off in my head.

What is the consensus for 2013 models? It seems like a lot of problems are from the 2010 models. Can anyone offer an opinion?

Cheers
    Anton

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by antong1 View Post
    Hi all

I have been eyeing a 2013 118TSI golf for the past few weeks which has done 50 000 km for a pretty good price (13k).
    After reading this thread, a few alarm bells are starting to go off in my head.

What is the consensus for 2013 models? It seems like a lot of problems are from the 2010 models. Can anyone offer an opinion?

Cheers
    Anton
    2013 you should be fine - it will have the newer KS pistons of which there have been no reported failures. All the other problems have also been fixed....just avoid DSG models.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories, you are giving me faint hope.

I have a 2012 Golf TSI. Brand new when purchased, always serviced at dealer. Had gearbox replaced last year at no cost. Last week EPC and engine light came on tl;dr cracked piston and lost compression. Dealer has it, have stripped it down yesterday (8/1) and are telling me the following:

The technician report relating to the EPC light, found number 2 cylinder low on compression 50 psi and
    Number 4 cylinder 128 psi, carried out a cylinder leakage test and there was no leakage in all cylinders.
    The cylinder head needs removing, the pistons and the cylinder bore inspected for damage.
    To remove the cylinder head 7.5 hrs at $195.00 per hour and quote will be done to repair the
    loose of compression in the cylinders.
    Diagnosis at present is $390.00
    Please note due to the workshop load and other vehicle engine repairs there is 2 to 3 week
    wait before repairs can commence .
    Based on comments here I read last week I have already opened a case with VW Australia and have now requested the dealer contact them to discuss the cover of costs of a known fault as my expectations are that a car of this value, cared for gently and with 95 000 kms should not be requiring what amounts to a full engine rebuild. Will see how I go. Any further advice appreciated at this stage - currently driving an 88 prelude with no aircon....I have also asked for a car in the meantime but no luck....
    Last edited by Flipfeet; 09-01-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Users Country Flag
    If you would share your correspondence that would be immensely helpful.
    Last edited by Flipfeet; 09-01-2018 at 01:43 PM. Reason: wrong place

Users Country Flag
    Looks like we add another one. My sisters car, bought second hand early December 2017. Taken in today to the Mitsubishi dealer she bought it from, for slight oil usage and rough idle. They have rang her already with sorry #1 cylinder low compression, will replace all 4 pistons and labor under used car warranty, no haggling so good on them.
    Should she mention VWA goodwill or just go with used car warranty?
    05 A3 Sportback 2.0t, DSG Revo Stg1, K04, Revo Stage 3, S3 FMIC, Eurojet 3" D/P with Hiflo Cat, S3 Injectors, HPFP Upgrade, K&N CAI, Eibach Sports Springs.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by briby View Post
    Looks like we add another one. My sisters car, bought second hand early December 2017. Taken in today to the Mitsubishi dealer she bought it from, for slight oil usage and rough idle. They have rang her already with sorry #1 cylinder low compression, will replace all 4 pistons and labor under used car warranty, no haggling so good on them.
    Should she mention VWA goodwill or just go with used car warranty?
    Update, just got back from the Mitsubishi dealer. Mechanics there know mech's at the local VW dealer, so car is going there to have a new engine fitted. Much better result than piston replacement.
    05 A3 Sportback 2.0t, DSG Revo Stg1, K04, Revo Stage 3, S3 FMIC, Eurojet 3" D/P with Hiflo Cat, S3 Injectors, HPFP Upgrade, K&N CAI, Eibach Sports Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by briby View Post
    Update, just got back from the Mitsubishi dealer. Mechanics there know mech's at the local VW dealer, so car is going there to have a new engine fitted. Much better result than piston replacement.
    Good result all around. That way the dealer you bought the car from has to sort out the repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Good result all around. That way the dealer you bought the car from has to sort out the repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly

Users Country Flag
    Update on my 2012 Golf: VW have agreed to cover all costs of piston replacement under Goodwill. Could debate whether it is goodwill or faulty car but not going to look a gift horse in mouth. Customer service has been less than ideal - have had my car for over 3 weeks and still no courtesy car - driving a borrowed 88 prelude with no air con Will get it back next week and then planning to sell it, just so disappointed in car and service from VW.

Our experince with the notorious 118 TSI engine.
    Golf Convertible purchased new from a Newcastle NSW dealer early 2012. 10/2011 build date. Now has ~120k on the clock.
    Serviced by dealer and local mechanic. Wife's car.

Xmas 2017 engine warning lights came on, wife stopped car and rang dealer, advised to get it towed to them, which she did.

Advised by dealer that they would assess problem by stripping engine and advising this would cost $975. They did admit ther had been issues with this model engine.
    After speaking with the Service Manager (who said they would do their best to get VW to cover the costs, but, no guarantee) we gave the go ahead to strip the engine. We were also told a loan car was available but, we didn't require it.
    Two weeks later the dealer rang and said the car is ready to pick up at no charge.

This is a great result from the dealer and VW. Also thanks to Kaliani for putting the table together, this gave us the confidence to go ahead and try for the outcome we achieved.

Page 119 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129 ... LastLast