Thread: Engine light and spluttering engine

Users Country Flag

Engine light and spluttering engine

Hi,

Hope you guys can help. My 2010 GTI was serviced 3 weeks ago. Has done about 75K KM.

Yesterday, shortly after leaving the shops following a 20 minute drive then 20 minute shop, I thought I heard a motorbike nearby (BRRR brrr brrr brrr, BRRR brrr brrr brrr) and then realised it was me! It wasn't super loud, but the engine light started coming on and off too. I was at the lights and turned off the ignition and restarted when the lights went green and everything seemed fine and I drove another km to pick up the kids.

Started the car and engine light stays on. I drove another 3 km to get the kids home, and it was doing the same - driving normally it seemed (but maybe the engine working more was making it harder to hear any variation), except when I slowed down at lights and then I would hear the cyclic spluttering again. The tacho was behaving normally though (not jumping up with the cyclic spluttering from the engine).

Any idea what it could be? They have told me at my last service that I have a very small oil leak near the turbo, and my battery needs replacing soon. Could it be spark plugs/fuel injectors or something like that? Can't get the car back to the service place till Monday. The service place is only 3 km away so I was going to drive it again on Monday too rather than getting a tow as I am not with roadside assistance at the moment.
    2010 MY11 Mk VI Golf GTI [5Dr|DSG|Carbon Steel|MDI|Bluetooth|Street Legal Tint]
    2008 Chrysler Grand Voyager Touring [Diesel|[COLOR="black"]Black[/COLOR

Users Country Flag
    I wouldn't drive it. If they are only 3km away get them to bring their scan tool to you to at least check its ok to drive. No way to tell what it is without plugging in the scan tool. Could be a sensor malfunction or a dead turbo or a very large number of things.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Mitchh for the suggestion. Autobarn has a 20% off sale tomorrow and I will go there (in my partner's car) to get a new battery and cheap engine code scanner.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Joined RAC to get a "free" diagnostic and if needed, a tow. The engine code shows something like "variable length runner out of range". RAC mechanic said the motor or the plastic part that controls how much air goes to the engine is stuck in the wrong position and it needs to go to the workshop to be fixed. He said I should get it towed, because if the plastic part hasn't gone into the engine yet, we don't want it to do so. Waiting for the tow truck now.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Joined RAC to get a "free" diagnostic and if needed, a tow. The engine code shows something like "variable length runner out of range". RAC mechanic said the motor or the plastic part that controls how much air goes to the engine is stuck in the wrong position and it needs to go to the workshop to be fixed. He said I should get it towed, because if the plastic part hasn't gone into the engine yet, we don't want it to do so. Waiting for the tow truck now.
    New intake manifold time, the runner flap rod breaks from the manifold. Enjoy.