Page 1 of 120 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: DSG: Problems, Questions, Likes and Dislikes

DSG: Problems, Questions, Likes and Dislikes

Just wanted to start a thread for any DSG owners out there who wish to vent their likes/dislikes/frustration

I have ordered a GTI with DSG and was wondering what the DSG community thought of it.
    Would you buy another one ?

I've heard comments that it is jerky at low speed, sudden downshifts and not smooth in city driving (compared a 6speed auto like Honda)
    GTI, CS, DSG, Reverse Sensors, Tint, Bluetooth (since 9/4/10)
    [and engine rattle accelerating @ 2-3k rpm ==> otherwise "it's a beauty"]

Quote Originally Posted by paulcito View Post
    Just wanted to start a thread for any DSG owners out there who wish to vent their likes/dislikes/frustration

I have ordered a GTI with DSG and was wondering what the DSG community thought of it.
    Would you buy another one ?
    Pointless asking this after you just ordered one.

I've heard comments that it is jerky at low speed, sudden downshifts and not smooth in city driving (compared a 6speed auto like Honda)
    I've heard comments that it's smooth at low speed, smooth downshifts and smooth in city driving (not compared against an automatic transmission as they share absolutely nothing in common).

If you want feedback on the DSG use the search button, there are numerous threads on this forum about it and all your questions will be answered.

Paulcito, I've driven a DSG for four years and there were a few times in manual mode when downshifts were jerky. Pressing the accelerator a bit before down-changing helped. DSG downshifts for you even in manual mode anyway, so it's only worth manually down shifting if you want a kick in torque/speed, not to shift down at lights.

If you try to drive a DSG in sport mode in low speed traffic, it will always feel abrupt and over-rev strangely because it has no room to shine. You'd always leave it in D.

I had a mate who's a professional race car driver in my GTI two nights ago and he couldn't get over the smoothness of the DSG when it's driven how it's intended. He also just thought the GTI was fantastic in general.
    2011 Audi A5 Sportback 2.0TFSI S-Tronic Quattro | Deep Sea Blue | 18" Audi exclusive 10 spoke | Bang & Olufsen | MMI Plus Nav | Advanced Parking & Reverse Cam | Sunroof | Sports Suspension | Xenons | Walnut Inlays || Previously: MkVI GTI | Carbon Steel Grey | DSG | ACC | Dynaudio | Reverse Cam | "R" LED Tail Lights | APR Stage 1

I'm new to VW and.......love the DSG. Coming out of a Liberty GT spec B paddle shift auto which was bloody frustrating and dim witted, the DSG GTi is awesome fun. The only downside imo is that fluffy fart on upshift which I love but makes me drive it hard all day which means 11+ L/100km. Love the throttle blip on downshift. Love how it allows you to downchange into a lower gear with high revs (Subie would beep away and refuse to downshift for a corner aaaaaarrrrrggghhhh!) DSG being a manual box means much more direct drive and engine braking than slushy auto box too.

Low speed jerkiness is a small price to pay and you can drive around it once you get used to it.

When the GTi comes up for update in 3 years or so, it will be very hard to go non DSG. I guess by then many more manufacturers will be emulating VW.
    2010 Golf GTi 5 door, DSG, 18" Detroits, MDI, BT
    2010 BMW X5 xDrive 30d
    1969 Datsun 1600 club race car 13B bridgeport 203 rwhp

Maverick, people like you make my blood boil! The thread this bloke started is perfectly legit. Leave him alone!

These forums are for sharing information, not teeing off on strangers. Go and kick your dog or wife or something mate.

Right then...

The DSG is an interesting piece of kit for sure. Great when its all working. Its the reason i bought my VW 3 years ago instead of a Liberty. I was blown away by the smoothness and fun factor of it all. That blip of the throttle as you shift down under braking makes you feel like you're Schuey!

As for reliability, it's been a hit and miss kind of thing. Most owners have no doubt had no problems, but there have been a few horror stories.

The one good thing in Maverick's post was the bit about searching this forum. There's quite a few threads on the subject.

My story - DSG started with roughish upshifts and a clunk from the rear end going from 4th to 5th. After 10mths of troubleshooting and replacement mechatronic unit, VW replaced the whole DSG under warranty.

Then i wrote off the car in a flood! Doh!

FWIW, I went DSG again in my new car, simply because of its fun factor. Plus I wanted to try paddle shifters and launch control!
    RIP! 2007 Passat 3.2 4Motion Black Sedan | 19"s | AVC-9000 | Audi A3 Sportback 2.0TFSIQ

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Putt View Post
    Maverick, people like you make my blood boil! The thread this bloke started is perfectly legit. Leave him alone!
    I think Mav was just in a mood because he was replying to a post in the 16th AND 17th thread started by another member of the forums, and then come across this thread which has also been done before.

But I would like to add that I was amazed at how smooth the DSG was in D. Sure, there are some auto's out there that are smoother - but the DSG is a manual which can change gears for you, and I don't know many manual drivers as smooth or quick as the DSG.

As others have said - it can take a bit to get used to it - but once you're aware of how to drive it, it's awesome - and I too will find it hard to go non-DSG in the future. I'm particularly looking forward to the R which apparently has the 'lag at start' issue resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Putt View Post

These forums are for sharing information, not teeing off on strangers. Go and kick your dog or wife or something mate.
    I thought Maverick's points were quite legitimate, it does seem pointless asking the question after having placed the order. Maverick then pointed out that he had heard comments contrary to what the OP had heard, seems legit to me, finally he pointed out correctly that using the search function would lead the OP to a mountain of feedback either way regarding the DSG. So what's the problem?

This thread will lead nowhere, the usual DSG haters will come to the fore and the usual DSG lovers (myself included) will make comments to the contrary.

FWIW, I'm on my second DSG car, no problems at all, absolutely love it, it changes up when I would expect, it changes down when I would expect, is very smooth, changes are lightning fast and is very different to any other automatic both in concept and in operation. Is the DSG infallible? Probably not, but then, which manual transmission driver has got it 100% correct every time?...the answer by the way is none.

Cheers

George
    06 Jetta 2.0TFSI Killed by a Lexus!
    09 Eos 2.0TSI DSG Loved this car but has now gone to a new home!!
    14 EOS 2.0 TSI has arrived!

Users Country Flag
    Btw - I had a Stage II APR GTI. So there was ~430NM and ~205KW going through it - still very smooth...

No problems - all comments appreciated.
    My wife wanted an "auto" so there wasn't really much choice for a MT

Started this thread because I wanted to know why the VW community loves it or hates it so that I can be prepared for it in late Mar (hopefully).

Will search for the "dislikes". Good to see that the comments in this thread have been very positive

Cheers to all.
    GTI, CS, DSG, Reverse Sensors, Tint, Bluetooth (since 9/4/10)
    [and engine rattle accelerating @ 2-3k rpm ==> otherwise "it's a beauty"]

Quote Originally Posted by paulcito View Post
    No problems - all comments appreciated.
    My wife wanted an "auto" so there wasn't really much choice for a MT

Cheers to all.

It really boils down to this point, if you want an auto, choose DSG, if you want a manual, choose a manual. Having said that, be prepared for the DSG not to behave like a conventional auto because it is a very sophisiticated computer controlled manual gearbox with no torque converter and that is the main reason it feels so different.

You have made a good choice with DSG.

Cheers

George
    06 Jetta 2.0TFSI Killed by a Lexus!
    09 Eos 2.0TSI DSG Loved this car but has now gone to a new home!!
    14 EOS 2.0 TSI has arrived!

Page 1 of 120 1231151101 ... LastLast