Page 3 of 120 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: DSG: Problems, Questions, Likes and Dislikes

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by coreying View Post
    With all respect to you, I think that decision is a bit premature Sharkie

Firstly the Golf R is being reported (both by VW and auto press who've tested it) as having almost completely removed the 'lag from start' which is one of your complaints. Next, the R has 350NM of torque vs the 240 of the 1.4TSI - and it has a completely different 6 speed wet-clutch DSG. The hill issues that you reported never happened to me in my Golf GTI with the same gearbox that'll be in the R.

So that takes away both of your major concerns and only leaves the 'S' mode. I've never really understood the S mode. I think it's a 'put it in there temporarily for some very spirited driving or overtaking' for those who CANT use the manual mode for whatever reason - like in the Jetta where they don't have the steering wheel controls, or for people who are just too dump to change the gears manually. In any case - it's not meant for 'cruising' - but I agree - it's not the best of S modes I've used.

Anyway - my point is - wait until you try the DSG in the Golf R itself
    Admit, all that you said is true, coreying.

And, yes, I will testdrive the R before making a final decision ... on whether to get it at all ....

BUT ....given that I plan to make my R really quick, I'm not prepared to spend the $20K its going to take to get the DSG to work properly (and last) with 300+kw & 500+nm... ... with the manual, all I have to do is upgrade the clutch and that will be it ....

It will be a Golf R APR Stg 3 as soon as possible...
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by VW Convert View Post
    So will this thread give any new answers that are not covered in the other threads? If you read some of those threads you will gain a much better understanding of those issues and see how miniscule a problem it is in terms of the number of DSGs that are around

Cheers

George

How will we know if we don't wait and find out?
    tornado red GTI MkVI, 5dr, DSG, Sat Nav, RVC, MDI.
    Red Honda Fireblade Red Cooper S (SOLD)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    BUT ....given that I plan to make my R really quick, I'm not prepared to spend the $20K its going to take to get the DSG to work properly (and last) with 300+kw & 500+nm... ... with the manual, all I have to do is upgrade the clutch and that will be it ....

It will be a Golf R APR Stg 3 as soon as possible...
    Have a chat to Guy_H about that.
    He's personally told me that they've done several Stage 3 upgrades on the Audi S3's with the S-Tronic (same as the 6sp DSG in the Golf R) gearbox. The Scirocco 24 hour cars were also DSG (no upgrades), the APR Stage 4 GTIs are using DSG (much more than 300kw and 500NM), and Guy himself has said that he's probably going to get his Golf R with DSG 'just for fun'....

Quote Originally Posted by Tux View Post
    So glad to hear that. What a waste of time reading all those other threads about DSG. See, I could've just read something from you and not wasted those hours poring through DSG threads! Oh, and when did I suggest there were no stocks of DSG units in Oz? Mmm, putting words in other peoples mouths..not like you at all.
    It was a question, did you see the question mark after it. The reason why VWA don't keep DSG parts locally is because the failure rate is so low contrary to your wild claims.

I'm not 'looking' for flaws. I ordered it after driving one like most people do. It's then later that you read about DSG failures that you become concerned. I'd have thought there'd be no problems by now with DSG and that's what I'm hoping for.
    Everything fails at some point, you don't have one yet so read up and don't worry about something that is likely to never occur and for which you have a warranty.

I doubt you've heard it all now. There'll be plenty more for you to rant and rave about to come. Some other poor bug*ar will post about something that sets you off again. Hey maybe you could rehash some of your quotes and save time. You're pretty good at cut and paste as we know.
    No point in even responding to this. If you can't see how pointless this thread is and have to resort to petty personal attacks you should reconsider posting.

Perfect logic and great way to twist my meaning...Thanks so much for your reply Maverick. You are playing your role perfectly.
    I didn't twist anything, one minute you're concerned for you and your wife's safety and the next you're continuing with your order for the gearbox of death.

I agree plenty of threads on DSG and no point asking after you've ordered.

paulcito may help to be more specific with questions and also do a bit of searching first. I guess people get annoyed when the same topics are regurgitated over and over. I sometimes just choose a relevant thread and ask there.

Sounds like the MK6 DSG is a bit better - apparently doesn't roll backwards if you are facing up a slight hill and going from reverse to D.

Btw - I had a Stage II APR GTI. So there was ~430NM and ~205KW going through it - still very smooth...
    He's personally told me that they've done several Stage 3 upgrades on the Audi S3's with the S-Tronic (same as the 6sp DSG in the Golf R) gearbox. The Scirocco 24 hour cars were also DSG (no upgrades), the APR Stage 4 GTIs are using DSG (much more than 300kw and 500NM), and Guy himself has said that he's probably going to get his Golf R with DSG 'just for fun'....

Yeah he mentioned that APR in the US have a stage IV car running DSG. Would be interesting to see how many years it lasts.

and i still think anyone wanting to put a lot of power through the car should get 6MT. Proper DSG upgrades (not just flash) cost just over $5k (APMitchells HPA DSG upgrade).

I think the 'Just for Fun' meant that they haven't bought a DSG car yet, all been 6MT hmm.
    Last edited by G-rig; 07-03-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post

I didn't twist anything, one minute you're concerned for you and your wife's safety and the next you're continuing with your order for the gearbox of death.
    Classic Maverick
    tornado red GTI MkVI, 5dr, DSG, Sat Nav, RVC, MDI.
    Red Honda Fireblade Red Cooper S (SOLD)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by G-rig View Post
    I think the 'Just for Fun' meant that they haven't bought a DSG car yet, all been 6MT hmm.
    He was talking about his personal car. The company has had plenty of DSGs over the years from what I've seen.

That's what i meant, his own cars are usually all 6MT.

Users Country Flag

I did just that during this week ..... in order to reliably run a 300+kw 500+NM long term you need to do a DSG gearbox upgrade. Thats hw and sw ....

If you don't, its you choice, but don't say you haven't been warned .... Guy himself was hestitant on getting the DSG for his own R on order because of this very fact ....

DSG will return the best 0-100km/h times using launch control, thats accepted by all, however you can't use that all the time on the street and if the lag is still there, even though they claim its not, it will ruin the experience for me in a std R.

Since I plan on having a REALLY powerful R, it the R gets the nod, then I will stick with the tried and tested 6MT, thank you.

However ....

Since this thread was not about the R initially, I stick by my evaluation of the DSG7 in the 118TSI .... its rubbish IMO.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

I agree with sharkie, If you are after the fastest 0-100 times get DSG and do the DSG hardware and software upgrades (not just a giac flash), just like the MK5 turbo R32 has done as featured in Motor Mag. Otherwise 6MT can handle a bit more punishment.

I would stick to manual in small motor cars, just like you wouldn't get auto as you lose power.

Page 3 of 120 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast