Page 2 of 120 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: DSG: Problems, Questions, Likes and Dislikes

Users Country Flag

When I test drove Golfs before placing my order I went in ready to buy a manual - drove the DSG and it seems to me to be the best of both worlds... Needless to say I ended up ordering a DSG Golf...

Yes, there do seem to be bad DSGs and good DSGs - remember though the unfortunate souls who ended up with the bad ones are more likely to post in forums on the 'net than people who are delighted - so I think the average of 'net write-ups is probably skewed to bad...

Regards,
    - Anthony.
    VW Tiguan 110TSI Life | Tungsten Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 3Putt View Post
    Maverick, people like you make my blood boil! The thread this bloke started is perfectly legit. Leave him alone!

These forums are for sharing information, not teeing off on strangers. Go and kick your dog or wife or something mate.
    There are many threads already covering the DSG and it's pointless starting yet another one especially when the OP doesn't even have a DSG so can't contribute anything and doesn't have a specific question.

There are already 29 threads with DSG in their title in this forum and 78 threads with DSG in their title in the Mark V forum (and more in the tiguan forum as well).

If the OP want's to do some research there are plenty of threads to keep him occupied, some of them include

Long term reliability of DSG
    Factory Repair Manual for Mk 5 & DSG
    DSG servicing intervals
    Why not DSG?
    Pricing on 15k/1yr service for r32 dsg
    Mk 5 DSG Service costs
    DSG question
    DSG noise
    DSG Issue
    DSG replacement - more waiting
    DSG Issues
    7 SP DSG and chip mods
    Any Tips on Driving a New Golf6 with DSG?
    MT vs DSG survey
    Whining DSG box on Golf TDi VI Series
    And so forth

Users Country Flag
    For a guy who could be so helpful, what, with a fantastic GTI information site etc, I don't understand why it is such a problem for you Maverick if people start a new thread such as this.

I've read heaps of information about DSG on this and other sites, and have ordered my car with it, but that doesn't stop me being somewhat nervous about whether I've done the right thing or not. If I couldn't buy extended warranty I'm not sure I would have ordered with DSG as it seems there is a strong likelihood of failure which could mean big $$$ in repairs outside warranty. I'm very interested in what owners with DSG say about it. I believe Maverick has DSG on his car but he'd rather waste time flaming people rather than give valuable feedback.

I am also concerned that I could be on a freeway or highway and lose any drive or worse still that could happen with my wife driving! This has been written about here in Oz and overseas.

Having said that I'm taking the risk to hopefully enjoy the benefits of this wonderful technology.
    tornado red GTI MkVI, 5dr, DSG, Sat Nav, RVC, MDI.
    Red Honda Fireblade Red Cooper S (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Tux View Post
    For a guy who could be so helpful, what, with a fantastic GTI information site etc, I don't understand why it is such a problem for you Maverick if people start a new thread such as this.
    Read what I wrote.

I've read heaps of information about DSG on this and other sites, and have ordered my car with it, but that doesn't stop me being somewhat nervous about whether I've done the right thing or not. If I couldn't buy extended warranty I'm not sure I would have ordered with DSG as it seems there is a strong likelihood of failure which could mean big $$$ in repairs outside warranty.
    Strong likelihood of failure? Based on what? There are no widespread problems with the DSG and VW have sold over 2 million of them. They would have gone broke if the DSG had a high failure rate. Why do you think VWA don't keep stocks in Australia and instead ship them out by air?

I'm very interested in what owners with DSG say about it. I believe Maverick has DSG on his car but he'd rather waste time flaming people rather than give valuable feedback.
    Actually if you bothered to read I did give feedback and if you want to see what users have to say about it (which is pointless as you don't have a car with DSG - why is it that people order something and research it afterwards looking for flaws???) you can use the search facility and this will show you every DSG made on this site which is going to be a hell of a lot more useful than looking at a few posts in yet another thread that contains little useful information.

I am also concerned that I could be on a freeway or highway and lose any drive or worse still that could happen with my wife driving! This has been written about here in Oz and overseas.
    I've heard it all now. You're worrying about something that rarely ever occurs and that has been addressed already by Volkswagen. Your wife is more likely to run into Elvis so I'd worry about that before I would be concerned about something that is a non event.

Having said that I'm taking the risk to hopefully enjoy the benefits of this wonderful technology.
    So you're not concerned about your wife's safety? If I had concerns for my families safety (whether it was founded or not) I wouldn't be buying it.

I don't believe that making legitimate statements is flaming anyone.

Maverick's point is that there are already 107 DSG related threads in the MKV and MKVI forums, the information is there and as the OP does not have a specific question what is the point of this thread?

Maverick may be controversial and sometimes blunt but it seems to me there are some on here who just want to have a go at him because it is some sort of sport.

I've read heaps of information about DSG on this and other sites, and have ordered my car with it, but that doesn't stop me being somewhat nervous about whether I've done the right thing or not. If I couldn't buy extended warranty I'm not sure I would have ordered with DSG as it seems there is a strong likelihood of failure which could mean big $$$ in repairs outside warranty. I'm very interested in what owners with DSG say about it.
    Perhaps reading some of the 107 other threads may help here, do you honestly believe that any earth shattering new revelations will come from this thread? As I said previously, this thread will go nowhere, just a regurgitation of what has already been posted repeatedly. As for the strong likelihood of failure is concerned, my view would be that the likelihood is minimal.

So will this thread give any new answers that are not covered in the other threads? If you read some of those threads you will gain a much better understanding of those issues and see how miniscule a problem it is in terms of the number of DSGs that are around.

Cheers

George
    06 Jetta 2.0TFSI Killed by a Lexus!
    09 Eos 2.0TSI DSG Loved this car but has now gone to a new home!!
    14 EOS 2.0 TSI has arrived!

I've had a DSG for about 4 years now - its a mkV but generally we are talking the same thing. I'd say that as an auto-shift its a great transmission - much faster shifting and more responsive than a regular auto, not to mention the power delivery and economy. The speed of shifting allowing for zero hesitation in acceleration is fantastic. However...

It still has the drawbacks of an autoshifting transmission. It consistantly chooses the most conservative and economic gear so quite often I find that entering a corner it won't downshift and I get no engine breaking and no power on the exit. Downshifts can sometimes be quite unpredictable - occasionally it will change down two gears and then change up straight away. There is one spot on my way to work where I pull out onto a main road at the bottom of a hill and the tranny hesitates then rev its guts out then upsift and down shift again - extremely annoying. Most of these quirks can be overcome by understanding the tranmission and knowing how to use the throttle to tell it what to do - such as letting the clutch engage just before take off by rolling forward.
    As for changing gears manually I find that with 6 gears you have to look down at what gear its in which is a tiny little digit on the dash, then count the gears as you shift - a bit of a chore and still not the control of a manual. Sports mode will allow more revs, more engine breaking and better downshifts however I call it suicide mode as it is so over the top that I only see it as usefull on an extremely spirited drive or to use for ten seconds when you are about to do something aggressive.
    I disagree that its more intelligent then a regular auto - I think its every bit as dumb as any auto I've driven. That said its still a big improvement and a no brainer if you drive in traffic. I'm not sure I'd buy another one though.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Scourge View Post
    As for changing gears manually I find that with 6 gears you have to look down at what gear its in which is a tiny little digit on the dash, then count the gears as you shift - a bit of a chore and still not the control of a manual.
    I never had an issue with that - however, I grew up during the F1GP and Indycar Racing era - so simulators with 6 speed semi-automatics were part of my upbringing - what gear I'm in, even with the flappy paddles, just comes naturally

Users Country Flag
    For once I agree with Maverick .... there are literally hundreds of threads on DSGs on ths forum .... the search button is there .... use it.

But since I recently had a DSG expererience and this thread is new here goes ...

It may be a revolutionary technology for a gearbox but it is rubbish IMO.

Had a 118TSI Mk6 Golf DSG for 2 days last week and gave it every oppertunity to impress me. (I was still undecided whether to get the Golf R in DSG or manual).

The positives: Sometimes the gearchanges are super smooth and the only indication that you have changed gear is that the gear indicator in MFD increases ...

It changes gears amazingly quickly provided it has preselected the correct gear going forward ...

Had the following issues though ....

The pause is still there upon pulloff .... when you want to pull off nothing happens for about half a second, so you press harder down on the gas ... then all of a sudden it leaps forward, much, much more than what you wanted. Almost jerks your neck off .... (Later read that you can get around this by pumping the gas before take-off - which just seems stupid)

Going down hill in D it slips into D6 ... then as you want to go up on the other side .... it sits in D6 and nothing happens untill the car almost stalls ... it then decides ... OK, maybe D5 .... and nothing happens and the car almost stalls ... it then decides .... OK, maybe D4 etc etc etc untill eventually you have either reached an appropriate gear or crawled over the top of the hill ... in a manual you would have simply selected the proper gear and that would have been it. The position of my foot .... flat on it or not ... did not make any difference ...

Trying it out in S then to sort out the abovementioned problem .... yes ? .... NO ... in S it keeps the revs at around 3500 or higher at all times .... which is ridiculous when cruising ....

So you end up switching between S and D and the manually chosen gears all the time to "fix" the inherent problems of this "advanced auto" box.

Absolute waste of $2500 IMO ... I would have enjoyed relieving myself against a tree to the tune of $2500 more .... (If it was my car & money)

If the R comes in a DSG only then I will never ... ever ... ever buy 1.

Conclusion: It may be the best thing since sliced bread to some, but to me its not even close yet. They (VW) need to do more work on it before I'll be convinced to buy a product with it in it.

So the Golf R in a manual it will be ....
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    So the Golf R in a manual it will be ....
    With all respect to you, I think that decision is a bit premature Sharkie

Firstly the Golf R is being reported (both by VW and auto press who've tested it) as having almost completely removed the 'lag from start' which is one of your complaints. Next, the R has 350NM of torque vs the 240 of the 1.4TSI - and it has a completely different 6 speed wet-clutch DSG. The hill issues that you reported never happened to me in my Golf GTI with the same gearbox that'll be in the R.

So that takes away both of your major concerns and only leaves the 'S' mode. I've never really understood the S mode. I think it's a 'put it in there temporarily for some very spirited driving or overtaking' for those who CANT use the manual mode for whatever reason - like in the Jetta where they don't have the steering wheel controls, or for people who are just too dump to change the gears manually. In any case - it's not meant for 'cruising' - but I agree - it's not the best of S modes I've used.

Anyway - my point is - wait until you try the DSG in the Golf R itself

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Read what I wrote.

Strong likelihood of failure? Based on what? There are no widespread problems with the DSG and VW have sold over 2 million of them. They would have gone broke if the DSG had a high failure rate. Why do you think VWA don't keep stocks in Australia and instead ship them out by air?
    So glad to hear that. What a waste of time reading all those other threads about DSG. See, I could've just read something from you and not wasted those hours poring through DSG threads! Oh, and when did I suggest there were no stocks of DSG units in Oz? Mmm, putting words in other peoples mouths..not like you at all.

Actually if you bothered to read I did give feedback and if you want to see what users have to say about it (which is pointless as you don't have a car with DSG - why is it that people order something and research it afterwards looking for flaws???)
    I'm not 'looking' for flaws. I ordered it after driving one like most people do. It's then later that you read about DSG failures that you become concerned. I'd have thought there'd be no problems by now with DSG and that's what I'm hoping for.

you can use the search facility and this will show you every DSG made on this site which is going to be a hell of a lot more useful than looking at a few posts in yet another thread that contains little useful information.
    Already have done that...and look at me still learning from you.

I've heard it all now. You're worrying about something that rarely ever occurs and that has been addressed already by Volkswagen. Your wife is more likely to run into Elvis so I'd worry about that before I would be concerned about something that is a non event.
    If she did run into Elvis you'd just say it was just some old fat bloke who could never sing in the first place.

I doubt you've heard it all now. There'll be plenty more for you to rant and rave about to come. Some other poor bug*ar will post about something that sets you off again. Hey maybe you could rehash some of your quotes and save time. You're pretty good at cut and paste as we know.

So you're not concerned about your wife's safety? If I had concerns for my families safety (whether it was founded or not) I wouldn't be buying it.
    Perfect logic and great way to twist my meaning...Thanks so much for your reply Maverick. You are playing your role perfectly.
    tornado red GTI MkVI, 5dr, DSG, Sat Nav, RVC, MDI.
    Red Honda Fireblade Red Cooper S (SOLD)

Page 2 of 120 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast