Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cold start shakes

Users Country Flag

Cold start shakes

Cant buy Seafoam in Aust as far as im aware - you will have to buy from o'seas if you want it. I use a Liqui Moly product (available from Supercheap for about $25) before every oil change on my Mk6 GTI.

Liqui-Moly Petrol Engine Intake Decarb - 366g - Supercheap Auto
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 11-04-2017 at 07:35 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Cant buy Seafoam in Aust as far as im aware - you will have to buy from o'seas if you want it. I use a Liqui Moly product (available from Supercheap for about $25) before every oil change on my Mk6 GTI.

Liqui-Moly Petrol Engine Intake Decarb - 366g - Supercheap Auto
    Thanks for that Lucas, I bought myself a can last week but I haven't had the chance to test it out yet.

I just found out about the timing chain issue that has been occurring with early MK6 cars and I stumbled on your post. It freaked me out, I don't want my whole engine blocked destroyed! I've booked it in for a service on Friday because of the ABS recall anyway. So I'm going to ask them to check out the tension and the carbon levels in the pistons. But in the mean time, I recorded a video of my car starting up this morning, thoughts? https://youtu.be/leeNcSGhL6w

Even if they don't find a problem with it, I might ask them to replace the chain tensioner anyway.... just for peace of mind.

Users Country Flag
    The 90TSi engines suffer more so (from memory) of stretched timing chains, not so much from the tensioners themselves. Your car definitely sounds quite loud for the first few seconds although its a bit hard to tell with that video - can you get a friend/partner to start the car and you stay near the engine so the sound is consistent the entire time you are recording?
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Yeah, it seems like you're correct about the stretched timing chain. It does seem to be more prevalent in 90TSI cars.

This was how it started up this morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0P5...ature=youtu.be After watching this a few times, I'm started to think that I've been stressed about nothing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12