Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Clutch is slipping!

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tonymy01 View Post
    I dug through my old posts, it was on vwgolf net au forum it was organised. For the pressure plate/clutch plate to use the standard dual mass flywheel, the kit was $870 and was this one here: Sachs Performance Kupplung - Verstärkt - Kit 999787 999502 - S-Performance GmbH

Was about $100 dearer thru Sachs, so the group buy was worth it.
    Thanks Tony, the exchange rate is a bit crappier now also
    2008 VRS Wagon. Yellow, very yellow!
    Forever blowing bubbles.

Users Country Flag
    Just picked up the car last night after having the clutch (used a Sachs SRE), flywheel and slave cylinder/throwout bearing replaced. First impressions are that the take up of this clutch is MUCH more positive than the stock unit. Car is accelerating better and much more responsive. Pedal feel is quite a bit firmer but I can live with that for the improvement in clutch performance. I decided to stick with a dual mass flywheel for quieter running, hopefully the (new) stock flywheel is stronger than the stock clutch and handle the heavier duty clutch okay.
    Last edited by Pullstarter; 18-02-2016 at 10:35 AM.
    Forever blowing bubbles.

Users Country Flag
    ^ good to hear. My clutch gets a pretty easy life in terms of "abuse", but i know the extra torque from the modifications will cause it to slip at some stage under full throttle. So far so good though and 80,000km.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    ^ good to hear. My clutch gets a pretty easy life in terms of "abuse", but i know the extra torque from the modifications will cause it to slip at some stage under full throttle. So far so good though and 80,000km.
    I thought mine was getting a pretty easy life too but only 40,000kms lol. Mind you, I probably could have gone for quite a while longer on the old clutch but thought I may as well bite the bullet and do it now. Now just hoping that the stock dual mass flywheel holds out okay with the heavier duty clutch. Transmission guy reckons it should be fine, fingers crossed.
    Forever blowing bubbles.

Users Country Flag

Another clutch slipping Thread

Hi all,

I had an APR stage 1 tune completed by BWA at seven hills this week. Absolutely love how much the car was woken up by this tune.

I live in camden which is approximately an hours drive from seven hills. I boosted 3rd near my house and it did what I though was a bit of clutch slipping, then I tried it again and did it again.

I have been driving it around heaps as it is my weekend car and I have been on holidays, as of today it is starting to slip badly. If I power on in 6th at 100kms an hour the clutch starts to slip, so I think the clutch is done....

Car has 72000kms on it. I'm a tiny bit livered as I have never had to replace a clutch on a car before and I have put some serious kms on various cars over the years.

My question being: Can anybody recommend a clutch that has a similar pedal feel to the OEM clutch as it felt really good to drive. And can obviously handle the increase torque of the stage 1 tune.

Also, how much can I expect to fork out to have a clutch replaced? I understand it is very labor intensive and have no idea how much a clutch kit will cost.

I think my clutch in my 2012 vRS Octavia may be going too. I have a bluefin Stage 1 also. Yesterday whilst over taking in 4th I gave the car some reasonable throttle and as soon it hit around the 4000rpm mark the car just free revved and I lost all power. Power didn't come back on until I reduce the throttle and changed up into 5th. It did it again later that night in exactly the same scenario and gear etc.

Is it my clutch that's going. I've done 94k.

If it is my clutch why doesn't it do it in lower gears like 2nd and 3rd? I gave it a boot full in 2nd and it was fine.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by donweather View Post
    I think my clutch in my 2012 vRS Octavia may be going too. I have a bluefin Stage 1 also. Yesterday whilst over taking in 4th I gave the car some reasonable throttle and as soon it hit around the 4000rpm mark the car just free revved and I lost all power. Power didn't come back on until I reduce the throttle and changed up into 5th. It did it again later that night in exactly the same scenario and gear etc.

Is it my clutch that's going. I've done 94k.

If it is my clutch why doesn't it do it in lower gears like 2nd and 3rd? I gave it a boot full in 2nd and it was fine.
    From a mechanical perspective, in higher gears the clutch (and therefore engine) is actually transmitting greater torque to the gearbox. It's a bit rudimentary, but think about the fact that we have low gears to get the car moving by using a higher engine speed, and then once at speed we change up to reduce the gearing ratio creating an effective greater rotational inertia to accelerate and therefore requiring a greater torque to accelerate.

I think the test is 5th gear from about 80 or 90km/h? The way I found mine was finally going in my s3 8L was towing on the freeway and trying to accelerate in 6th.
    Current: 2007 Black Magic GTI - APR Stage 2, Carbonio intake, APR downpipe and catback exhaust, RNS510, Bi-Xenons, Custom Red Leather Interior, Tow Bar, Racks and Parking Sensors
    Previous: Absolute Red 2000 S3 8L - Stage 1 Custom Code
    Previous: 1997 Black Magic VR6 - CX Racings, BFI Stealthlines, Chipped ECU, Genie Extractors, Thule 404s, Fairing, Suitcase delete with hotdog.

Thanks. Talking to my mechanic this morning and he's pricing up a new clutch for me. Will the clutches above indicated for a Mk 6 golf fit my 2012 Octavia vRS no worries?

After having my downpipe fitted and going stage 2 with a Recode tune, the clutch is right on the edge of starting to slip in 4th and onwards. After some research I've decided what I want to do is fit a Sachs Performance (SRE?) stage 2 clutch kit while retaining the OEM dual mass flywheel.

If anyone is able to confirm that this is the correct part I should be looking at, that would be fantastic. It doesn't quite match the Sachs part number Goran had listed on this thread, but the product page does state it matches VW Manufacturer Part Number 06F 141 015 C ***. Seeing as we have a 06F 141 015 CX in the Mk6 R I am pretty sure it's the right kit but wanted to make sure before I pulled the trigger.

Cheers guys!

Users Country Flag

I put the Sachs racing clutch in mine and retained the dual mass flywheel. Awesome set up.

Mine slipped with a stock APR stage 1 tune had 65000kms on it.

Only thing to note though is because i pushed it when it was slipping, i destroyed the factory flywheel and cost me a small penny to replace.

Although the sachs racing clutch feels like the OEM pedal, it can get tempermental in stop/start traffic

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast