Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pump / motors / fans run after switching ignition / car off

Users Country Flag

Pump / motors / fans run after switching ignition / car off

After turning the engine off in my GTI a pump or motor runs for about 5 mins, is this an electric water pump or something to cool the engine down?

Does not do it everytime.
    [GTI] 3 door, Carbon steel, DSG, MDI.

Sounds pretty normal a lot of cars do this. My old Accord used to run the radiator fans for a few mins after you turned it off on a hot day.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMK6 View Post
    After turning the engine off in my GTI a pump or motor runs for about 5 mins, is this an electric water pump or something to cool the engine down?

Does not do it everytime.
    Fans can run on after shutdown and so can an electric water pump that runs the coolant in reverse to cool the turbo. Both only run when required.

This information is contained in the manual as well IIRC.

Fan still runs after engine switch off (2.0 TDI)

I don't know if this has been asked before, on my 2010 Golf 2.0 TDI I have noticed on 2 occasions that the fan (front of engine) is still running after the car ignition is switched off and this can last up to 5 mins, I know the engine does make the odd noise or two when the engine is turned off anyway but is this normal for the fan still to be running.
    Has anybody else noticed this, is it specific to the TDI's or is there a problem.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    2008 Audi S3, Phantom Black Metallic, 6 Speed Manual, Sunroof, Leather, Bose Stereo, S3 Black Optics Grill, 2011 darkened Rear lights.

1999 Subaru Impreza WRX

Users Country Flag
    It's normal.
    Just make sure the fan turns off after a little while.

Thanks for that I've Googled it as well and its something to do with the particulate filter regeneration what ever that is.
    2008 Audi S3, Phantom Black Metallic, 6 Speed Manual, Sunroof, Leather, Bose Stereo, S3 Black Optics Grill, 2011 darkened Rear lights.

1999 Subaru Impreza WRX

Quote Originally Posted by pom829 View Post
    I don't know if this has been asked before, on my 2010 Golf 2.0 TDI I have noticed on 2 occasions that the fan (front of engine) is still running after the car ignition is switched off and this can last up to 5 mins, I know the engine does make the odd noise or two when the engine is turned off anyway but is this normal for the fan still to be running.
    Has anybody else noticed this, is it specific to the TDI's or is there a problem.
    It's perfectly normal operation and detailed in the owners manual IIRC. Many cars do this after shutdown to cool the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by pom829 View Post
    Thanks for that I've Googled it as well and its something to do with the particulate filter regeneration what ever that is.
    I'm not sure what you read but it has nothing to do with the diesel particulate filter. Have a read of your manual as it will cover the DPF operation.

I could be wrong it was an American site!

1999 Subaru Impreza WRX

Taken from TDI club website

Fred's TDI Page. TDIClub.com. VW TDI Enthusiast Community

7. Q: My radiator fan started running loudly when I {turned off the engine or got off the highway onto surface streets or stopped at a light}. What's that about?
    A: Your car was in the middle of regenerating the Diesel Particulate Filter (see Q4, above). The DPF gets very hot in this process. When your road speed drops too low to provide the required cooling, your fan turns on. When idling, you may also notice that your idle speed increases slightly to 900 RPM. You can prolly learn more than you ever wanted to know about DPFs and regens by reading these two threads:

1999 Subaru Impreza WRX

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast