Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Check Deadlock message

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mfl View Post
    No that along on a Sunday afternoon, waiting at the lights on Cleveland St (near Redfern), the car in front me had their laptop stolen when two young kids ran up to the back of the car opened the rear hatch and took the laptop sitting on top of their bags.

Then not long after I was in Wollongong for work, had to visit a site with 2 locals. The Avis Commodore had the auto-locking enabled. Put the car in D and the doors locked, when you put the lever in P, the doors unlocked. The 2 locals freaked, that the doors locked automatically..... no accounting for peoples reactions, maybe Wollongong is just safer then driving through Redfern ?
    The problem is that this is not what the deadlock mechanism protects against, and even the autolocking requires you to have travelled more than 15 km/h before it is activated. Even then, the intent of the autolocking is to prevent people opening the door while the vehicle is moving and not to prevent things like bag snatches.

This is why it is much better to have the vehicle lock when the speed drops below a certain speed. On the deadlock system, it is really useless apart from trying to stop someone stealing your car if you have left it unlocked and now want to catch them by activating the imobiliser and central locking if they are trying to drive away. If they have broken in, chances are that the central locking is not going to be of much use anyway.

Users Country Flag
    wai.

Your car is locked.
    You unlock it and get in. Oh, and btw, it's only unlocked the drivers door unless you have double-pressed (or changed the settings).
    You drive away and it locks as soon as you get to 15km/h. I.e. As soon as you pull away from your driveway, or wherever you were.

So yes. The intention is to stop you from getting car jacked or things stolen when you come to a set of lights or pull over etc.

If you get in your car and don't drive, then you're able to lock the door manually.
    If you stop and pick people up, then you're able to unlock the doors manually.

I really don't understand what about the system you don't understand is.
    Why is it necessary to have the car keep locking and unlocking itself dependent on speed? That to me is pointless. Why would you need the doors to be unlocked when you're driving at speed?

I'll ask the dealer if the auto deadlocking can be disabled and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by wai View Post
    But there's more.

On my MY11 Caddy, the lighter and all accesory sockets are live all the time, even with the ignition off and the car locked and alarm active. So if I had any kids (I shouldn't ) locking them in the car would be dangerous as they could start a fire with the lighter. I raised this with the dealer at the first courtesy service and was told that they looked through the wiring diagram and according to it, these outlets are supposed to be live all the time, so they were not willing to do anything about it.

I have since raised the matter with VW Australia on safety grounds using just such a situation as an example. They are looking into it. It would be so much better for them if they fixed it without having to institute a recall. I don't mind the accessory sockets being live (not really), but the lighter socket is just dangerous. I can't understand how that one got through.

You might want to check this out on your car and if it is, remove the lighter and lock it away. They might still fiddle with it, but at least there is not a heater element for them to play with.
    The Mk IV's lighter was only live with the ignition on.

I thought that was an Australia only thing anyway due to an ADR requirement -maybe since withdrawn (?)

Anyway you can just wire it up with the lighter feed coming through a relay activated by the 75x (ignition) feed similar to the Mk IV way:

In Europe the cigarette lighter was active all the time (blue wiring in above diagram).

The relay you need is part number 4H0 951 253 A with the control number "645" (same as old "53" relays, now superseded)
    Last edited by graeme86; 24-11-2011 at 03:53 PM.
    PM if you are looking for: R32 rear sway bar; R32 suspension springs; Euro Headlight switches

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by graeme86 View Post
    The Mk IV's lighter was only live with the ignition on.

Anyway you can just wire it up with the lighter feed coming through a relay activated by the 75x (ignition) feed similar to the Mk IV way:

Thanks for that, only where does this happen? Please don't take this the wrong way. Your help is appreciated.

I take it that 501 is supply from the battery, and that this normally goes through fuse S241 to the lighter socket.

Where 501 located, and where is S241 located?

Now to the feed 75x. Where is this located? Does this have to be connected through something like a Scotcklok?

As for the relay, where does this then end up?

The diagram refers to the Mk IV connections

501 is one of the screws on the relay plate labelled "30"

S241 is Fuse 41 in Fuse Box on side of dash

75x is ignition circuit (off with starter) - screw connection under relay plate

Relay in Mk IV is plugged into a spare relay point in the Relay Plate under dash.

You just need to find equivalent connection points in the Mk V - all of these are in the fuse/box relay plate in engine bay (?)

In fact you just need to intercept the wire going to the socket and re-route it through the new relay - that part of the circuit would already have the feed and fuse in it now.

Then you just need to run a new 75x feed to earth via your new relay coil.

Please dont use a "Scotchlok" for this sort of stuff

Last edited by graeme86; 24-11-2011 at 09:38 PM.
    PM if you are looking for: R32 rear sway bar; R32 suspension springs; Euro Headlight switches

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by graeme86 View Post
    The diagram refers to the Mk IV connections
    Thanks for that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234