Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Check Deadlock message

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_R View Post
    Re. kids in the car - can't they just hit the unlock button on the drivers door if they need to get out? It might be worth testing and informing them (depending on their age, etc).
    Nope, the internal unlock button is disabled as part of the deadlock process. Just have to make sure you do a double button press on the remote and it's all good.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_R View Post
    Re. kids in the car - can't they just hit the unlock button on the drivers door if they need to get out? It might be worth testing and informing them (depending on their age, etc).
    Not if it's deadlocked. That's the entire point!

I can unlock the deadlocks on my house from both sides though

I just thought it was an anti-theft feature, not an anti-child one

Users Country Flag
    You can only unlock the deadlock from the inside of your house with a key. If you can do it without using a key, then you haven't dead locked it.

So the example you use is a very good one. It's no different from a household dead lock.

And yes. It IS an anti-theft feature. It stops people from simply being able to smash the window and unlocking all the doors of your car.

Does anyone know if the automatic deadlocking feature can be disabled? I don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by mhh View Post
    Does anyone know if the automatic deadlocking feature can be disabled? I don't like it.
    Just press your lock button on the remote twice and it won't be deadlocked.
    MY20 Golf GTI TCR
    MY20.5 LR Defender P400 HSE

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by mhh View Post
    As far as I can tell, no. VAG believe it is something we should have.

I don't like it either. If someone breaks in, by either smashing the glass or breaking the lock, there is not much point in stopping them from "opening" the door.

It is a bit like the automatic locking of the doors where when you get above 15 km/h (or something like that), the doors automatically lock. This is supposedly to stop you accidentally opening the doors with the car moving. I don't like that either. In fact, there were some cars that did the exact opposite of this. The doors locks opened when the car was travelling over a set speed and locked below that. This was to prevent things like bag snatches, but allowed rescuers open doors should you be in a accident.

At least the automatic locking can be disabled, but not the deadlock feature. The only way I know of is to press the remote central locking one more time. The indicators flash, but there is no beep. If you have an alarm and think you may not have pressed it a second time and you are pressing it for the third time, the alarm goes off and you have to press unlock to stop it, then press once listen for the locking beep, then press it one more time and make sure you can see the indicators.

It is s system re-programming task and so VAG needs to be made aware that this needs to be an option and not the default. If VAG are not contacted, they will do nothing. Then there is The Department of Infrastructure and Transport Homepage as it might just take a nudge from them.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by wai View Post
    It is a bit like the automatic locking of the doors where when you get above 15 km/h (or something like that), the doors automatically lock. This is supposedly to stop you accidentally opening the doors with the car moving. I don't like that either. In fact, there were some cars that did the exact opposite of this. The doors locks opened when the car was travelling over a set speed and locked below that. This was to prevent things like bag snatches, but allowed rescuers open doors should you be in a accident.
    The doors automatically locking is able to be turned on and off in the Setup menu (last time I looked). On lesser cars without a setup menu, the dealer can adjust it.
    It's got nothing to do with you not being able to accidently open the doors, cause you can still do that regardless. It's to do with bag snatchers, car jackers etc. Additionally, if you're in an accident, the doors automatically unlock too.

So it doesn't stop you from opening the doors at any time.
    And doesn't prevent people helping you in case of an accident where you're not conscience to open the door yourself.
    Therefore I'm not sure why people would be against it.

Depends how often you intentionally pick people up I guess

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Corey_R View Post

Therefore I'm not sure why people would be against it.
    No that along on a Sunday afternoon, waiting at the lights on Cleveland St (near Redfern), the car in front me had their laptop stolen when two young kids ran up to the back of the car opened the rear hatch and took the laptop sitting on top of their bags.

Then not long after I was in Wollongong for work, had to visit a site with 2 locals. The Avis Commodore had the auto-locking enabled. Put the car in D and the doors locked, when you put the lever in P, the doors unlocked. The 2 locals freaked, that the doors locked automatically..... no accounting for peoples reactions, maybe Wollongong is just safer then driving through Redfern ?
    mk VI GTI, manual, reflex silver, basic

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast