Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Check Deadlock message

Users Country Flag

But pressing the lock button twice so it disables the deadlock also disables the ultrasonic sensors too doesn't it?

That button you're talking about (on the B pillar) allows you to deadlock the car, whilst disabling the ultrasonic sensors AND disable the tilt/towing sensor.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gjws View Post
    Hi wai,

Yep, I usually lock the car with the kids in it so I know no one can get in while I'm not there, however with the MK6 I have to be careful as they couldn't get out if something happened such as a fire etc god forbid.
    But there's more.

On my MY11 Caddy, the lighter and all accesory sockets are live all the time, even with the ignition off and the car locked and alarm active. So if I had any kids (I shouldn't ) locking them in the car would be dangerous as they could start a fire with the lighter. I raised this with the dealer at the first courtesy service and was told that they looked through the wiring diagram and according to it, these outlets are supposed to be live all the time, so they were not willing to do anything about it.

I have since raised the matter with VW Australia on safety grounds using just such a situation as an example. They are looking into it. It would be so much better for them if they fixed it without having to institute a recall. I don't mind the accessory sockets being live (not really), but the lighter socket is just dangerous. I can't understand how that one got through.

You might want to check this out on your car and if it is, remove the lighter and lock it away. They might still fiddle with it, but at least there is not a heater element for them to play with.

The Mk6 Golfs don't have lighters anymore
    MkVI Golf GTI | Candy White | DSG | Leather | Bi-xenon | Sunroof | Dynaudio | Park Assist | MDI | Tint | FINALLY RECEIVED!!

Quote Originally Posted by Corey_R View Post
    But pressing the lock button twice so it disables the deadlock also disables the ultrasonic sensors too doesn't it?

That button you're talking about (on the B pillar) allows you to deadlock the car, whilst disabling the ultrasonic sensors AND disable the tilt/towing sensor.
    Hmmmm, I'll have to try that tonight. Hopefully it is the case as that would be a great solution.

As for the cigarette lighter, as MkVIGTI pointed out, I don't have one Luckily my kids are old enough that they can be trusted not to play with things but the thought of deadlocking them in is a concern for me.

Why are people locking their kids in their car? They car can't be stolen without the key anyway.....

Quote Originally Posted by pologti18t View Post
    Why are people locking their kids in their car? They car can't be stolen without the key anyway.....
    No but someone may steal the kids.........now that I think about it, that would save me a fortune!

Quote Originally Posted by Corey_R View Post

Tested and you are 100% correct, a double lock disables deadlock. I've not tested if the ultrasonics were disabled but assume so.

Users Country Flag
    My thoughts exactly. Is that not a bit like saying 'I cannot believe the gas was turned on a lit by my kids who I locked in the house...'

I don;t think anyone really expects for you to lock kids in the car so I hardly think you can blame VW or anyone for having a live 12v feed when the car is parked and locked. As for a recall... I don't think that's going to happen...
    2010 R36 (MY10.5), Biscay Blue, RNS510, MDI, Electric tailgate, sunroof, Superchips remap - SOLD
    2016 Octavia VRS wagon, moon white, Tech Pack, 18" black pack, electric boot, panoramic sunroof, Bluefin

Users Country Flag
    There are times when you have to leave children in the car. When you go to pay for your fuel, you do not want to have parents empty the car of all their kids, and march them into the servo to pay for fuel, then march them back out and get them all seated back in the car. It is not like you are leaving them (as some have) to play the pokies.

This is why when the car is locked, the dors should still be able to be opened from the inside if necessary, and all power outlets should also be switched off, particularly if the parents are smokers. They see their parents lighting up with the lighter and so try to imitate that. This is also why you don't let children play with a gas lighter.

So this has diverged somewhat, but it as far as the deadlock goes, people need to remember to double press the central locking remote, and hide the lighter away if the lighter and accessory sockets remain live. This should be able to be re-programmed by VW where it defaults to just normal locking and two presses deadlocks the car.

I've never heard of this before (although I might've read about it agesssss ago in teh manual (and probablyl dismissed it thinking that it was part of the alarm option), but I can say that I've definately noticed that sometimes when I lock the car I heard a nice little thud (deadlocks), but other times it's a lot quieter - I sometimes hit lock twice (with a few seconds in between) just to be sure.

Re. kids in the car - can't they just hit the unlock button on the drivers door if they need to get out? It might be worth testing and informing them (depending on their age, etc).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast