Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much is this roughly worth?

Users Country Flag

How much is this roughly worth?

Hi all,

First of all I just have to say I'm very greatful this forum because the people have been helpful and there's a lot of stuff here which is not in the other vw forums I've been looking at!

I'm currently looking at buying a:

118TSI Comfortline Manual Gearbox 2009 MK6 Model which seems to have a build date of September 2009.

When inspected the car I had no idea what options it had so I took a photo of the white sticker which has the "Option Codes" and apparently it has the following options:

- RNS-510 System (No Rear View Camera)
    - Partially Leather Seat Covering (I have no idea how different this is from leather but it looked nice!)
    - Digital Sound Package (I assume thats the Dynaudio speaker I saw in the car)
    - Sports Version (This is probably the R17 wheels in the options as well the extra lights on the front bottom bumper)
    - Service Interval Prolongation (I don't think this is an option but I thought it was interseting and wondered if anyone knew anything about what this meant).

The car has done just less than 20,000 kms so it's quite new.

I was hoping that an expert here could provide an approximate cost of this car.

What scares me a bit is the engine failure possibility from the older 2009 model but it sounded great when I drove it and on the plus side it is a manual gearbox so maybe I can avoid some DSG gearbox issues. A VW dealer said I could just bring it in after I buy it and see what updates are required (I'm not sure if this is free). He was reassuring when I said has done low kms and how it still has over 6 months of warranty.

Even though you probably can't value this, any thoughts would be much appreciated.

PS: After speaker to a dealer, is it true that a retrofitted Rear View Camera is about $1250 considering I already got the RNS-510?

Thanks,

Chubby!

the sports pack also comes with slightly lowered suspension, and has sports seats, though not sure if the leather is completely different seats again, or just the sports ones in leather

yes, cameras are expensive to get retrofitted, was quoted $1290 at an independent workshop, but the DIY doesn't look overly difficult

The camera kit is roughly $600, so if you or someone you know is handy with a soldering iron and trim removal tool you might want to check out the DIY thread in the forums.

I'm guessing the car would be worth high 20's or low 30's.

Users Country Flag
    I'm surprised you found someone willing to retrofit the camera, most places seem to just say no!

I have put one into my Cabriolet myself and it wasn't all that difficult, just a little time consuming while you carefully run the cables.

The 118 still scares me a little and I would seriously consider the extended warranty, especially on the earlier examples.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    Check out the redbook price perhaps.. Used Car Research - Used Car Prices - Compare Cars - RedBook.com.au keeping in mind that the car you are looking at has a heap of extras
    MY14 Audi S3 - Misano Red, S-tronic, Performance pack with parade red trim.

Users Country Flag
    Is is a dealer or private? If a dealer, take off about 25%-30% to arrive at the true wholesale figure (what a car wholesaler mate who did BMWs and other prestige cars told me as a rule of thumb). If private, it should be between wholesale and retail (maybe 10% - 15% above wholesale)

Problem is, a lot of private sellers are muppets and charge near retail prices without factoring in the dealers warranty and GST inclusive prices.
    Current ride: 2014 Range Rover Evoque 5 Door TD4 Pure | 9 Spd Auto | Fuji White | Black Leather | 19 inch 'Dynamic' Wheels

Previous rides: MY11.5 Golf GTI 5 door | DSG | Candy White | 18' Detriots | Bluetooth | K&N Air Filter | Dancing Dials (Oh Yeah!)
    | 1989 Porsche 944S2 Coupe| Guards Red| Leather| Sunroof| LSD

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Whoa...

It's from a dealership so if it's advertised at about $30k (drive away), then a 30% reduction is a massive $9k !?

Hmm, he was offering it for mid $20k which sounded alright at the time.

In terms of the RVC, I might just look into the acoustic sensors.

I also noticed that redbook says that bluetooth is not listed as standard or even an option for the late 2009 models. Does that mean that there is a mistake in redbook? It has the "talk" button on the steering wheel so does that mean this button does nothing? If that's the case, it seems like a tease

Thanks,

You can retrofit bluetooth fairly easily (I did). The steering wheel microphone button pauses/mutes the music so is still useful. Telephone button won't do anything.

At least you can add bluetooth without having to change your steering wheel.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    Whoa...

It's from a dealership so if it's advertised at about $30k (drive away), then a 30% reduction is a massive $9k !?

Hmm, he was offering it for mid $20k which sounded alright at the time.

In terms of the RVC, I might just look into the acoustic sensors.

I also noticed that redbook says that bluetooth is not listed as standard or even an option for the late 2009 models. Does that mean that there is a mistake in redbook? It has the "talk" button on the steering wheel so does that mean this button does nothing? If that's the case, it seems like a tease

Thanks,
    Yeah mate- the previous owner probably got early 20s so the dealer markup is like $9k, then they take a bit off ($3-$4k) and the rest is profit less the GST. Remember that there are some additional on costs like prep costs etc too.

So that rule of thumb my mate told me applies here I think.
    Current ride: 2014 Range Rover Evoque 5 Door TD4 Pure | 9 Spd Auto | Fuji White | Black Leather | 19 inch 'Dynamic' Wheels

Previous rides: MY11.5 Golf GTI 5 door | DSG | Candy White | 18' Detriots | Bluetooth | K&N Air Filter | Dancing Dials (Oh Yeah!)
    | 1989 Porsche 944S2 Coupe| Guards Red| Leather| Sunroof| LSD

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Oh well,

That car I was looking at disappeared from carsales. Serves me right for being too careful!

I told the dealer during inspection that I was going to do some checks (in regards to history and make a claer list of options) to make sure everything was ok before I put a deposit down.

My concerns were:

1) A 2009 model which has the potential for some of the engine failures which I have read in a few places. I realise the problem is not so significant for MY 2010 and onwards.
    2) A fuel requirement of 98 RON for the MY 2009 while the requirement for MY 2010 and onwards is 95 RON (Not really a deal breaker because I'd probably always fill it with 98 RON anyways).
    3) Lack of bluetooth (Once, I'm sure it wouldn't be too expensivre to get around this).

Was I too conservative? Maybe I should have realised that it's a pretty good car overall and bought the thing.

It'd be funny if it was bought by a fellow Vwwatercooled member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast