Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf 77 TSi Converted to "R"?

Question Golf 77 TSi Converted to "R"?

Having just bought a new 77TSi and being my first VW vehicle, I note there are a lot of GTi and R owners in this forum. The question poked in the back of my head when I saw the R on display at the dealer was the following:

For $65k driveaway, the R is equal to 2x Golf 77 TSi (end of year model) + $15k spare change.

Assuming an end of year 77 TSi being $25k - all I can see the difference between the 77 TSi and the R is as follows:

* Different front bumper w/fog and/or daylight lights
    * Extra side skirts
    * Different rear bumper with twin exhausts
    * Bigger engine w/bigger turbo
    * Adaptive chassis
    * 4 motion, 4 wheel drive
    * Leather seats
    * Upgraded audio system + bluetooth
    * Cruise Control
    * Alloy wheels
    * Electric Sunroof (factory option?)
    * Climate air conditioning
    * Leather wrapped steering wheel
    * Leather cover on DSG shifter
    * LED tail lights
    * 6-speed DSG

Ignoring the cosmetic differences, ie. leather seats, steering wheel, lights, bumpers, climate aircond, etc - the difference in power I assume is only the engine+turbo, 4 wheel drive, adaptive chassis and the 6-speed gearbox - would I be correct?

I find it hard to wrap my head around spending an extra $40k will get you in a Golf. I can only presume the body panels are the same, the sound proofing is the same, same plastic parts in the car, similar dash and so on.

I am happy with my Golf as fuel consumption is crucial for me when I drive 40k+ km every year. Is it even possible to upgrade the 77TSI with the engine, transmission, adaptive chassis and gearbox to become essentially an R for much less than $40k? As a bonus, you can sell the new 77TSI parts for some extra money.

Interested to see your thoughts =)

Users Country Flag
    I guess the R is also equal to 65 Mighty boys so I could save 64K but I would end up with 4 wheels and a seat.. whats your point
    Current Ride: MY 16 Daytona Pearl Grey Audi S3- Performance Pack 1, Sunroof and Driver assist

Users Country Flag
    It might be possible at a stretch of you were to find a wreck and do all the work yourself. Otherwise, no.
    Pepper Grey MY11 TIGUAN 125 TSI DSG | APR Stage 1 | Comfort Pack | Carpet Mats | MDI | BT | Tint | Custom Audio

Users Country Flag
    a base 3 Series without any options ticked, say $50k driveaway? a M3, $155k driveaway...

a base C class, $50k driveaway, an AMG C63, close to $200k driveaway..

besides, it's a Peoples Car there's a Golf to suit a Uni student to a CEO! from a P plater to a track addict! also for an undercover police too!!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gonsped View Post
    Having just bought a new 77TSi and being my first VW vehicle, I note there are a lot of GTi and R owners in this forum. The question poked in the back of my head when I saw the R on display at the dealer was the following:

For $65k driveaway, the R is equal to 2x Golf 77 TSi (end of year model) + $15k spare change.

Assuming an end of year 77 TSi being $25k - all I can see the difference between the 77 TSi and the R is as follows:

* Different front bumper w/fog and/or daylight lights
    * Extra side skirts
    * Different rear bumper with twin exhausts
    * Bigger engine w/bigger turbo
    * Adaptive chassis
    * 4 motion, 4 wheel drive
    * Leather seats
    * Upgraded audio system + bluetooth
    * Cruise Control
    * Alloy wheels
    * Electric Sunroof (factory option?)
    * Climate air conditioning
    * Leather wrapped steering wheel
    * Leather cover on DSG shifter
    * LED tail lights
    * 6-speed DSG

Ignoring the cosmetic differences, ie. leather seats, steering wheel, lights, bumpers, climate aircond, etc - the difference in power I assume is only the engine+turbo, 4 wheel drive, adaptive chassis and the 6-speed gearbox - would I be correct?

I find it hard to wrap my head around spending an extra $40k will get you in a Golf. I can only presume the body panels are the same, the sound proofing is the same, same plastic parts in the car, similar dash and so on.

I am happy with my Golf as fuel consumption is crucial for me when I drive 40k+ km every year. Is it even possible to upgrade the 77TSI with the engine, transmission, adaptive chassis and gearbox to become essentially an R for much less than $40k? As a bonus, you can sell the new 77TSI parts for some extra money.

Interested to see your thoughts =)
    Bearing in mind though that if you bought a 77 and decided to chuck all the equivelant R parts in and got it up to spec performance wise- practically none if your warranty would be valid. So if anything goes then its out of your hip pocket again- so I guess your paying for the performance, look, prestige to an extent and that lovely warranty at the end of the day.

Users Country Flag
    lol...

your list is only the beginning of the differences...

Users Country Flag
    You forgot to add the little R badge on the front and rear of the car too.

Any company worth their salt will make money on premium models - that's why they exist (i.e. for differentiation). Here's a challenge for
    you though - try costing all of the items you've just mentioned.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gonsped View Post

as the saying goes........
    "The whole is more than the sum of its parts".
    mk VI GTI, manual, reflex silver, basic

Users Country Flag
    Also don't forget to add in labour. At a cost of $100/hour, working 8 hour days and saying it'll take 2 weeks to get everything taken apart and then put back together again with an OEM level of fit and finish, you're looking at $8k in labour alone.

And the rest of the suspension, exhaust system, ecu etc etc etc

But then again, I could buy a tatty 97 CL Golf which is basically the same as a 77tsi for less than a tenth of the price! Wow! It's got VW badges and a slow engine. Must be the same.
    Audi S3. Sold
    Golf R. Sold
    Citroen DS3 Dsport. Sold
    2016 Skoda Octavia RS Wagon.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast