Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Tips on Driving a New Golf6 with DSG?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ricksterrr View Post
    Found this on the golfmkv forums - great write up on the DSG box and its quirks.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69511

Give the DSG some time to adapt to your usual driving style and I'm sure you'll be comfortable with it in no time.
    thank you for the link and i'll check them out

Quote Originally Posted by Nath View Post
    Make sure the dealer shows you all the 'modes' on the DSG, as so many people dont get shown the D, S and M modes.

+1 on the left foot breaking.
    not clear about the difference within d,s,m--->need some research.

i always use 1 foot for both pedals on auto..thanks

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by prise View Post
    cktsi, you're right - on hill starts applying throttle causes the brake to release and clutch to engage and you've got 2 seconds to do so before the hill hold releases brake pressure anyway and the car starts rolling backwards.

On level ground, the clutch seems to partially engages to creep the car after brake release without applying throttle so you can wait for movement and then gun it.
    which means up hill i need to press the accelerator pedal after releasing brake

and on normal level road the pedal can be pressed a little bit late(few seconds)

my understanding is right?

however, when i test drove the car, it seems standing still when i release the brake after stopping at the red light...

Quote Originally Posted by ricksterrr View Post
    Give the DSG some time to adapt to your usual driving style....
    I have always thought this assertion to be VW marketing hyperbole. Is there a reference somewhere that states the DSG truly adapts to driving style?

My understanding is that a DSG7 continuously adapts the numerous gear selector and clutch positions (and a whole heap of other stuff). In this way it can always know precise points for when;
    1) a clutch will be engaged or disengaged or slipping.
    2) a gear selector fork is in neutral or has one of its two gears selected. etc.
    and it can continue to know this precisely over time, as a brand new gear box beds in or another wears over time.
    A side effect of this is that one person drives their DSG7 in a very different manner to another the system will still adapt accordingly and the various points of adaption could be different. But no where in it will the system record the fact that this bloke drives like a pussy and that bloke like a maniac. My take on it is that DSG7 adaption is primarily there to allow the system to always know accurately where all the necessary points are for it to operate correctly. This means there should never be a need to adjust or service any component in the gearbox throughout its life.

I would say give your new DSG7 time to adapt and forget the driving style bit.
    Golf Mk6 118 TSI DSG |APR Stage I ECU Upgrade | HEX-USB+CAN

Users Country Flag
    How do people find the 'creep' behaviour when parking? I found it more clunky than a conventional auto but thought it was a small price to pay for the positives that come with the DSG technology.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by roy View Post
    however, when i test drove the car, it seems standing still when i release the brake after stopping at the red light...
    I know the UK spec rentals I drove didn't do that, however I can't remember what the one I drove at the dealership did as it wasn't in traffic, but I don't remember using throttle to creep it forward when parking.

Anyone with a MY 2010 model and 6 or 7 spd DSG care to comment - does yours creep forward on level ground if you have it in D and release the brake?
    Last edited by prise; 31-01-2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by prise View Post
    How do people find the 'creep' behaviour when parking? I found it more clunky than a conventional auto but thought it was a small price to pay for the positives that come with the DSG technology.
    I reckon that is a pretty fair assessment. Totally agree with you on that.
    Golf Mk6 118 TSI DSG |APR Stage I ECU Upgrade | HEX-USB+CAN

Users Country Flag
    on level ground, the 118tsi creeps forward when foot is released off the brake.

Quote Originally Posted by logger View Post
    I reckon that is a pretty fair assessment. Totally agree with you on that.
    My MKV creeps on level ground with no accelerator applied. It waits a second or two and crawls if I don't break. I use it to get outta my carport for example...no accelerator required.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12