Support VWWC

Thread: Advice Needed: Used MY10 DSG Golf Gti Oil Residue

Smile Advice Needed: Used MY10 DSG Golf Gti Oil Residue

Hi Guys,

First time poster. I was just wondering if I could get the communities advice on some oil residue of a used MY10 Golf GTi im looking to purchase. It has done 80,000km and there is service history after 55,000km. The 60,000 DSG service from what I gathered has not been done. Test-drive was good, with no shudder in any of the gears including reverse. The oil seems to be around the DSG housing (refer to images). I had a mobile mechanic inspect it and overall it was fantastic in his books, but just noted that the oil can be a cause of concern later down the track.
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet (some reason images not showing on forum)

Last edited by JustCruisn; 11-06-2017 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Fix the image links

Users Country Flag
    Could just be spillage from the filter, if it has been serviced previously.

Also seen a few with the filter cover not being tight.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag

Advice Needed: Used MY10 DSG Golf Gti Oil Residue

Id say rear main seal from where the oil is. I had a similar issue on my Mk6 GTI (although no where near that bad) and the rear main seal around the crankshaft needed to be replaced - quite common on these engines. $600 later...

The leaking was contained to right where the engine block and gearbox connect.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Ah ok, now I see the images.

Yeah, looks like rear main seal. Pretty common on these, along with other oil leaks.

If it were mine, I'd clean it off and check it again in a month or so, to see how bad it is.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Thanks for your advice guys, really helpful. Think I might skip on this one then considering no DSG service and oil leak. Hope to find my dream MK6 soon.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sports02 View Post
    Thanks for your advice guys, really helpful. Think I might skip on this one then considering no DSG service and oil leak. Hope to find my dream MK6 soon.
    Get a MY12 onwards - they have the updated timing chain and tensioner that plagues the earlier MY10 and MY11 models.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler