Support VWWC

Thread: Advice needed on 2010 GTI purchase

Advice needed on 2010 GTI purchase

Hey guys,

I have been looking at GTIs for a couple of months now. I have happened across one in particular (2010 GTI with ~65000kms) which has certain features I like, but I'm worried about its history and, of course, what I might be in for in the future.

It had dealership services at about 15k/1yr, 25k/2yr, 35k/3yr, and 45k/4yr.

At approximately 55k it suffered the dreaded timing chain tensioner failure, valves hit pistons, low compression on all cylinders. Cylinder 2 was damaged. A new engine was fitted. They completed the remainder of the scheduled 60k service, changed the DSG oil and filter.

So it has done about 10k kms with the new engine. It has been about 2 years since replacement so it might have a further year warranty. It is a trade in at a dealership.

Would you steer clear? I have it for the weekend - anything I should test or check out in particular?

Users Country Flag
    I wouldn't steer clear at all, its a 10,000km engine! Just make sure the new engine came with the upgraded tensioner and go for gold mate.

Thanks heaps for the advice.

The new engine looks like it has a build date of December 2014. I assume that means it would have the upgraded tensioner?

Also, do you know if I will still need to worry about the water pump/PCV valve/intake manifold? They seem to be the common issues with this model.

Just as an aside, this car is great

Timing chain tensioner is the killer and you have that one covered with a 2014 engine. The other points you raise are issues but can be rectified without too much work.

Users Country Flag
    Yep the waterpump, PCV and intake manifold are all common, however mostly once off occurances or one every say 100-150km, not too bad..

Users Country Flag

If it has a new engine as you say it does, it's an easy choice really!! Another common issue not mentioned is coil pack failure, but once again a very easy fix.
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr