Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7 speed DSG service?

There are two fluids used for the 7-speed 0AM gearbox:

You have 1.7 l of gear oil for the gearbox itself, which can be drained and refilled. VW says this oil is filled for life.

Then you have 1.0 l of hydraulic fluid for the mechatronics unit, which can be drained but not refilled - so leave well alone!!

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    To change the fluid in the 7sp DSG you need only 1.7L Gear oil, the Penrite Manual Gear Oil70 is suitable, so it shouldn't be expensive. VW has a track record of whatever component they say it's filled for life (lifetime fill), the life of it is not very long. Most likely 5years/120,000km.
    For anything related to the DSG gearbox, I'd only ever use the OEM fluid - especially if the car is still under warranty.

You can refill the mechatronics (you are correct, it uses the reglar Pentosin hydrauic fluid) - the fill plug is at the top. We have had to do a few mechatronics changes in our 7 speed DSG program. You must drain 100% & use exactly 1 litre to fill.

Users Country Flag
    Funny you say that Guy.

At dealership there is no provision to drain or fill the 7 speed mechatronics (although i know it would be possible as you found out yourself)

If any oil is lost from the mechatronics, only option is to replace.

Which strikes me as stupid. But i guess they may eventually do it.

I query why you've had to do a few changes as part of your 'program'?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_vert View Post
    There are two fluids used for the 7-speed 0AM gearbox:

You have 1.7 l of gear oil for the gearbox itself, which can be drained and refilled. VW says this oil is filled for life.

Then you have 1.0 l of hydraulic fluid for the mechatronics unit, which can be drained but not refilled - so leave well alone!!

For anything related to the DSG gearbox, I'd only ever use the OEM fluid - especially if the car is still under warranty.
    So would I.
    But hey, I know how some people like to use anything else but VW approved, especially when it comes to the engine oils.

For the mechatronics unit, Penrite says LDAS fluid, which is hydraulic fluid also used in suspensions and power steerings.
    ...and yes the transmission fluids always need to be 100% drained, they're not as compatible as engine oils, but not all engine oils are compatible either.

Quote Originally Posted by buzuki View Post
    Funny you say that Guy.

At dealership there is no provision to drain or fill the 7 speed mechatronics (although i know it would be possible as you found out yourself)

If any oil is lost from the mechatronics, only option is to replace.

Which strikes me as stupid. But i guess they may eventually do it.

I query why you've had to do a few changes as part of your 'program'?
    It's a funny way we learnt actually, we purchased Golf & Polo transmissions from Europe for R&D, and when they shipped them, they drained 100% of all the oil (including the mechatronics units), so we found out the hard way on the first one

When VW ship them, they fill them & seal them with a cap over the vent plug I believe.

Users Country Flag
    Maybe for safety.
    It could be different arrangements when they ship hundreds of parts, though. Just me thinking.

Users Country Flag
    VW usually sends DSGs pre-filled.

Engines and other transmissions are dry.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    VW usually sends DSGs pre-filled.

Engines and other transmissions are dry.
    By air? It could go on a different flight than usual.

Users Country Flag

Pretty certain via air freight.

From previous experiance, we've not received transmissions in the past, on the count of an oil leak in transit.

However, a forklift fork through the plastic rocker cover of a CBAB is perfectly ok!
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12