Support VWWC

Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: 118TSI - General Discussion

Users Country Flag

118TSI - General Discussion

We've had the Golf for about 6 weeks now, 2200 kms. It's our first VW. On Saturday I drove it from Penrith to Port Stephens to pick my wife up from her sister's place. What a pleasant way to make the trip. The RNS 510 didn't seem to suffer from the "dead spot" on the F3 that's been reported. I put 2.7Gb of music from my computer on a DVD-R. That works out to over 4 days. Set the playback to mix so if a track came on I didn't want, I just skipped to the next one. It seems the mix is truly random, as the same tracks could come up more than once.

Left the DSG in D most of the way, although dropped it into S when a BMW was trying to push me through the roadworks. Goodbye 118i when the limit changed to 110.

The weather was quite variable, but the auto lights and wipers dealt with it. I especially like the variable sensitivity. This is the fourth car we have had with auto wipers, and it has been a bugbear in the past when the wipers wipe too much, or not enough.

The last car we had had factory HID lamps. The lights in the Golf aren't as good, obviously, but not so that I missed them. I especially didn't miss getting flashed by those who thought we had high beam on.

On the way back 10:30, I spotted a Highway Patrol commode doing a U-Turn North of the roadworks. By the time I reached them he was right behind me. I set the cruise to 84 (glad I knew the speedo inaccuracy). He followed me for about a km, then went on his way.
    2009 118 TSI
    1980 Bedford van
    2015 Hyundai i30 SR

Great to see so many new 118TSI owners around now. I drove mine out of the dealership at the beginning of July, and saw one or two for the first few months of ownership. The other day however, I set a new record, spotting 6 new Mk VI's in one day.

I just hit 16,000 kms and have my first service tomorrow. I've booked in at Nepean Motor Group, has anyone had any experience with their servicing? I bought the car from Chatswood, but they quoted over $100 more for the same service.

All in all my Golf has been really pleasant to drive. I'm taking him on his first trip out of NSW next week, can't wait. I have had no problems with mine, apart from the fact that the odometer clicks over too quickly.

Oh, just a quick question to anyone who might know.. My car didn't come with any visible antennae, which is fine as it gives the car a clean look and the radio reception is good anyway. I've seen at least two Golf VI's around with the small shark-fin antenna's though. Are these mods or do the newest cars come with them now?

Golf VI -- 118TSI, 6-speed manual, Candy white, Sports pack and Adaptive chassis control.

Those are for GPS fitted Golfs if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by O2inmyatm View Post
    Those are for GPS fitted Golfs if I'm not mistaken.
    Makes sense. ^_^

Golf VI -- 118TSI, 6-speed manual, Candy white, Sports pack and Adaptive chassis control.

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme View Post

I just hit 16,000 kms and have my first service tomorrow.
    Hi, i am pretty interested in as you have done 16,000 already, have you got any squeak noise like someone else mentioned?

Cheers
    Platin Grey Skoda Octavia Scout Premium

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Great to see so many new 118TSI owners around now. I drove mine out of the dealership at the beginning of July, and saw one or two for the first few months of ownership. The other day however, I set a new record, spotting 6 new Mk VI's in one day.

I just hit 16,000 kms and have my first service tomorrow. I've booked in at Nepean Motor Group, has anyone had any experience with their servicing? I bought the car from Chatswood, but they quoted over $100 more for the same service.

All in all my Golf has been really pleasant to drive. I'm taking him on his first trip out of NSW next week, can't wait. I have had no problems with mine, apart from the fact that the odometer clicks over too quickly.

Oh, just a quick question to anyone who might know.. My car didn't come with any visible antennae, which is fine as it gives the car a clean look and the radio reception is good anyway. I've seen at least two Golf VI's around with the small shark-fin antenna's though. Are these mods or do the newest cars come with them now?
    My car has factory GPS so I can confirm the shark fin antenna is for the GPS. I bought my car from Nepean, and just had the 1500k inspection done so I can't comment on full service, but they dealt with my minor concerns ok.
    2009 118 TSI
    1980 Bedford van
    2015 Hyundai i30 SR

your Bedford had auto wipers!! ?
    Main Dub:
    2010 Crafter Hanover Bus
    1956 Type 1
    2015 vRS wagon black on black

Quote Originally Posted by ox518 View Post
    Hi, i am pretty interested in as you have done 16,000 already, have you got any squeak noise like someone else mentioned?

Cheers
    No I've watched that vid and my car doesn't whine like that. It has the twin charger squeal but I can't hear it with the windows up.

My car has been trouble free, like I'm sure the great majority of Volkswagens are. On the internet things are always blown out of proportion, because the people who are trouble-free you generally don't hear from.

I've booked in at Nepean Motor Group, has anyone had any experience with their servicing?
    They have just changed ownership the last couple of months back which saw some changes to their service area but over all I thing it has been for the better. The girls in customer service are friendly and know their job, it is refreshing to see service reps who know how to translate the techs talk into everyday language for the customer.

It is a large multi vehicle dealership with VW at the top of their prestige end and as a VW customer you are treated accordingly but that is the service offered to all customers, be a 10 years old Nissan Pulsar or a new Touareg R50.
    I initially went there because their pricing was good but their attitude to the customer is outstanding so I use them for both my VW’s.

Parts are also slightly cheaper than some of the other “bigger” dealers in Sydney.

If you book ahead they have replacement vehicles to use, there is a shuttle bus service to take you into Penrith or you can sit in their lounge and have a complimentary feed and coffee.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc R, Audi Q5
    Past VWs- T-Roc R-Line, Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Lams View Post
    your Bedford had auto wipers!! ?
    Yes, I reach forward, turn the switch and they come on automatically!

No, the cars with auto wipers are : 2003 Peugeot 307, traded (when it tried to kill my wife) on a 2007 Honda Accord Euro Luxury Navi. That was a bit big for her, so we traded that on the 118 TSI. I have a Peugeot 206 GTi. That's four!
    2009 118 TSI
    1980 Bedford van
    2015 Hyundai i30 SR

Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast