Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: 118TSI - General Discussion

Users Country Flag

If there is any more off topic clutter posted in this thread there will be infractions issued. There is no need to berate a new forum member - for the amount of effort to argue, you could paste a link to the previous threads, or ask a moderator to merge them.

No more warnings.
    2015 Multivan Highline
    1969 Sunbeam Imp Sport 930cc

Quote Originally Posted by cwcarruthers View Post
    Thanks sillygogo. That ticking sounds exactly like my problem. It's unfortunate if it is common... hopefully there is some resolution. The thing that's driving me mad is that I can't figure out exactly what the cause is. If I know where it is, there is a chance of dreaming up a solution.

Finally, I also agree about the power delivery. It is a bit unpredictable, but still fun, and I think I am slowly getting more in tune with it. It seems that the DSG changes behaviour depending on throttle openings, so that as long as you're fairly consistent when driving (e.g. stick mostly to small throttle inputs, or mostly to larger throttle inputs, for the duration of a trip), it tends to behave more as you would expect.

I'm addicted to the rush when the turbo really kicks though... it's hard not to floor it everywhere
    cwcarruthers:
    Does the noise more after the car is parked in the sun? If so it could be from the black piece of plastic outside of the car, around the rim. Because when I move it around with the window down, it made a similar crackly, ticking like noise. When I said that to the VW service manager, he said its not related and a ticket has been logged with VW service for investigation. hmm, when I called up 1 month later and talk with another person about the ticket status, they said no ticket was log. They were nice and booked the car in to re look at the problem and couldn't rectify it. So i guess just wait.

Oh, if you hear a small squeak over bumps, then check that your rear seats are tightly pushed back.

Hmm, addicted to the turbo rush, ...fun X 2: try putting the car into S at start and around bends then back to D once your reach the road speed limit, I am sure you already know it.

APR ya golf = Fun X 2 X Oh yeah !!!!!
    GOLF V GTI DSG Silver : On loan to parent until wife thinks I am a responsible driver
    GOLF VI 118TSi DSG Silver Leaf
    GOLF VII 110TSi DSG White
    GOLF VII GTI pp : on negotiation

I love it, it's my first new car. One thing I can't get used to, though, or rather can't figure out - the accelerator. It's just so unbelievably stiff and loose at the same time. No matter how I press it, the car feels ever so jumpy.

If you press it gently, it goes a little, then feels like it's choking a little before it fully engages into the second gear, then goes. If you press it harder, it just runs away from you. I don't know, weird ... Any tips?

Here are a couple of photos: exterior and interior.

It's a silver leaf 118 TSI with DSG.

Users Country Flag
    Welcome Stelex. How long have you had the car for?
    It's something you get used to I think. My previous Golf GTI had an APR Stage 2 upgrade, and my current Polo GTI has the APR Stage 1 upgrade, and both cars would keep you on your toes with the accelerator pedal usage (the Polo moreso than the Golf). It can be quite an adjustment coming from the many other cars I've had driven before these.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelex View Post
    I love it, it's my first new car. One thing I can't get used to, though, or rather can't figure out - the accelerator. It's just so unbelievably stiff and loose at the same time. No matter how I press it, the car feels ever so jumpy.

If you press it gently, it goes a little, then feels like it's choking a little before it fully engages into the second gear, then goes. If you press it harder, it just runs away from you. I don't know, weird ... Any tips?

Here are a couple of photos: exterior and interior.

It's a silver leaf 118 TSI with DSG.
    My 118 TSI is my first new car too.

I find the throttle similar to what you have described. Interestingly, it seems that the pause from first to second in sedate driving has gotten worse since I got to 300-400 kms (currently getting close to my first 1000 kms).
    The urge it provides when I do use more throttle has similarly but inversely changed. I definitely know what you mean about it running away from you!

The dealer told me something during the test drive about the DSG learning, and so I believe its behaviour is influenced by yours - if you use more throttle it will be more responsive, for example.
    Does anyone have any hard facts about how this works, if at all? I think the dealer mentioned it reset every 60 kms or something...

cwcarruthers, Stelex:

The initial hesitation is common with DSG. It does take little get used to. Try not to push it too hard at taking off, or you will get a delay then a mad machine, with tyre spin and wild. Try letting go of the brake little earlier, just like driving a manual, like 0.5-1 second before you want to proceed. Give little gas till the car moves then go for it. That seems to work for me.

Just some words for caution, if you are on an incline then the hillstart assist kicks in. In that case, letting go of the brake too early might cause your car to rolls back. I use the hand brake and repeat the above in this situation.

Logger reported that APR stage 1 upgrade, minimised the DSG initial take off hesitation. http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newf...ad.php?t=34296

Have fun
    GOLF V GTI DSG Silver : On loan to parent until wife thinks I am a responsible driver

Re: 118TSI - Are you happy?

Very happy, loving the car!! We have a united grey DSG with sports pack and ACC.

This is the first non manual car for my wife and I so does take some getting used to but the DSG is great. My wife was hesitant about not having a manual, but now she doesn't want to go back.

Good call on the handbrake Sillygogo. I have a stupid question... I'm used to being able to just put the handbrake on at lights, I'm assuming it's ok to do this with DSG, or should it be in park or something as well?
    2009 VW Golf 118TSI | United Grey | DSG | Sports Pack + ACC | RCD510

it would have been nice to get the 'auto hold' function like in Passat! That works brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by MaccaTSI View Post

Good call on the handbrake Sillygogo. I have a stupid question... I'm used to being able to just put the handbrake on at lights, I'm assuming it's ok to do this with DSG, or should it be in park or something as well?
    I think the gear changed to Neutral after you apply the brake for a few seconds. My believe is keep your foot on the brake and fine to use the handbrake. But if foot off then maybe put into N and handbrake. Like an normal Auto, if it is sitting in D and you use the handbrake then the car is fighting itself.

Passat Auto hold, is that simular to Hillstart assist?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sillygogo View Post
    Passat Auto hold, is that simular to Hillstart assist?
    yeah, different names for the same thing.

I thought that it was included in DSG cars... but maybe it's only included at the GTI level and higher?! Oh well

Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast